Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Genesis Begins Again

Genesis Begins Again

Juvenile fiction
"Nobody could tell me that today wasn't gon' be my day. Even
though I couldn't determine the correct term of equality in math,
shanked the nearly airless volleyball in PE, and truly didn't care to
discuss the effects of the Civil War in social studies, I was unshook,
'cause my girls finally agreed to hang out with me at my house."
Genesis, protagonist of Alicia D. Williams' Genesis Begins
Again, is in for a rude awakening. When the girls arrive at her home
all her family's possessions are on the lawn. They're being evicted.
It isn't the first time that's happened to Genesis. Her
family's finances are very shaky. Her mom doesn't have the education
to get better than minimum wage jobs. Her father, an alcoholic with a
serious gambling problem, is not a very reliable provider.
Sometimes Genesis and her mom have to spend time with her
grandmother, a woman who, believing lighter skin to be superior, tried
to prevent her daughter from marrying a much darker hued man.
She'd even pulled the paper bag test. Genesis' father seems to resent
his daughter for not being light complexioned like his wife.
Genesis is sure that the key to a better life is somehow
becoming light like her mother. Lemon juice, yogurt, bleaching
creams--she'll do whatever it takes, even when it hurts.
This coming of age story of a girl struggling with adult
problems and beauty standards that leave her feeling inadequate is a
poignant and powerful narrative. It gives an insightful look at
colorism which rarely enters into the plots of books for younger
readers.
On a purrrsonal note, yesterday afternoon I had a chance to do
something I'd waited for ages to do--attend an in person social
justice event. Pastor Malcolm and I attended a Poor Peoples Campaign
event. Attendees were presenting a list of very reasonable demands
outside Jared Golden's Bangor office. I spoke on education including
higher ed. We had some great music. Some very thoughtful people had
a cooler of water and ice cream. It's great to back on the street.
(Jules)
In this heat wave don't forget your cats and dogs. Ice cubes in our
water bowls will keep out water cold. (Tobago).
A great big shout out goes out to our new friend Malcolm.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment