Thursday, February 13, 2020

Wild And Crooked

Wild And Crooked

YA fiction
"Even the road to my conception was totally crooked and wide and
maybe that's why my parents were so eager to pop me into the
world...They were troubled teenagers themselves, and the last thing
they needed was a squalling poop machine, Tell my parents 'stop' and
they slam on the gas."
Kalyn-Rose and her mother have just returned to her mom's
hometown. Her grandmother needs in home care. That's what her mom
does for work. She's not eager to start a new high school. In fact
her arrival there requires a nudge from the truant officer."
"Most people who meet me? I know how they're going to describe
me later. Commentary on my personality or clothes will never be
anyone's go tos. The minute I'm out of earshot, I'm 'Gus, that kid
obsessed with Alexander McQueen.' Nope. I'm eternally 'Gus, the
disabled kid.'
Or sometimes I'm 'Gus, the kid whose dad got murdered.'
Gus has lived in Samsboro, Kentucky all his life. He dresses to
blend in, to not evoke pity. Most of the people in his small town
know him. But every time a school year starts there are new people
with their curiosity, their intrusive questions, and their
condescending offers of help. "...I may walk a bit like a crab, but
I'm actually only crabby when strangers point it out."
Gus' very socially inept best friend, Phil, gets an instant
crush on Kalyn-Rose. He asks Gus to be his romance wingman, to talk
her into a homecoming date. Only when they get to talking, after a
week of anxious stalking on Gus' part, they begin to build their own
friendship, one that becomes increasingly important to both of them...
...one that may be doomed from the start as in star crossed.
Think Romeo and Juliet. Gus is the only son of a home town hero
athlete from a good family who was tragically killed, leaving behind a
beautiful pregnant widow. Kalyn-Rose's dad, doing serious time in
prison, was the boy from the wrong side of the tracks who killed him.
In small towns people are very good at carrying grudges,
especially in regard to the pivotal event in local history. Kalyn-
Rose's mom has gone to great lengths to disguise her identity. But
that might not be enough...
...especially when the Innocence Fighters Association is
reopening the murder case, confident that DNA evidence will exonerate
her dad...
...which is stirring up quite a hornet's nest. The townspeople
have achieved closure. They aren't at all pleased at the prospect of
a man they considered guilty as Hell having his conviction overturned,
possibly to once again walk among them.
Happy reading!
On a purrrsonal note, I had a really awesome Monday. I went to
campus. I found out that we had bagels and coffee at the commuter
lounge since it had been snowed out Friday. Then there was a campus
activities program called Fresh Check. It was an engaging way of
raising the issue of suicide prevention. We learned to recognize the
signs in friends and loved ones. Also there were a bunch of tables
with activities. Each of the participants had a passport which we got
stamped at each table in order to earn a stuff a friend reindeer.
(Mine is white with silver antlers, nose, and hooves. I named her
Tobago after my kitty). I talked to a lot of people after and they
really appreciated the program.
I only was sad about one table. People were paired up. We each wrote
down what we saw attractive about the other. I looked at my person
carefully and wrote about her sparkly eyes and friendly smile and
lovely skin tone. She wrote that I am wise. Like what the Hell? But
I knew what the Hell. She just saw the silver in my hair and let her
stereotype kick in. First of all older = wiser is bullshit. If it
was true we wouldn't have a septegenarian president having Twitter
tantrums. Second it pins people to one role like a butterfly in a
collection. I am wise but also silly, affectionate, playful,
passionate, and often quite dramatic. Good thing I know I'm
attractive. So I looked in a mirror and told myself what I wish she'd
bother to notice.
A great big shout out goes out to the people who made these events
possible. They were the cat's pajamas!
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment