Monday, February 17, 2020

Getting Kids Outside

Getting Kids Outside

Juvenile nonfiction
For years people have been writing treatises on the physical,
psychological, and social benefits kids gain when they spend
relatively unstructured time outside. But many of us can't find ways
to slow down our busy family schedules to allow for this. Some of us
see too many dangers in letting them outside. And we all know what
happens when we nag our kids to put down those electronic devices and
get some fresh air. The electronics become even more irresistible.
"Aww, just one more game. I'm on level 27."
Kids will go outside if it's their idea and if they know about
enchanting and exciting prospects. Two relatively inexpensive books,
just out last year, give kids inspiration and agency while reminding
them they will need adult help or supervision for a few of the tasks.
Ruby McConnell's A Girls Guide to the Wild focuses on developing
camping skills. It starts small with day hikes and goes on to longer
adventures. All necessary details like packing, choosing appropriate
clothes, setting up shelter, and pooping and peeing in the woods are
included. The recipes are anything but same old, lame old. A number
of science based skills, including how to protect nature, are touched
upon.
Ben and Penny Hewitt's The Young Adventurers Guide To (Almost)
Everything is a more general guide divided into four sections.
Secrets of the Woods includes skills like weather forcasting, finding
wild snacks (including insects), surviving a night in the woods,
navigating by the stars, and making a fire from sticks. The Best
Camping Trip Ever clues wannabe campers in on crucial stuff like
protecting food from varmints, rendering first aid, finding a good
place to pitch a tent, building a cooking fire, and, of course,
pooping and peeing outside. The last two sections cover crafts
projects ranging from constructing a log raft to creating a one of a
kind journal.
If you have a child I suggest that you purchase either (or both)
of these books and leave it where he/she/they will pick it up out of
curiosity.
On a purrrsonal note, I had an absolutely purrrfect day. I got all
the computer work I needed to do at Fogler Library without the
computer blowing up or the tech help person quitting his work study
gig. And there were still daylight hours for a GOODWILL RUN!!! At
the place where people switch buses I was looking at the pigeons and
feeling guilty for not having bread or something on me. I saw this
pigeon with incredible markings that looked like it had a giant
dragonfly on its back. By the time I got my smartphone with its
camera out of my backpack it had vanished into the flock. So I was
walking on ice and snow to find it. It kept walking. The snow glare
made it impossible to see what was in my viewfinder. But then it
stopped and almost posed and I got my purrrfect pigeon picture. (Hey,
that was outdoor pigeon stalking.) At Goodwill I found two cat shirts
(including a Grumpy cat shirt that is like the Holy Grail of cat
shirts), a cat nightshirt, and gingerbread man slippers. At Hannaford
I scored a bunch of half price valentines candy. I saw my friend Lisa
who gave me a heads up on a Christmas cat sweater at the BBE. The bus
was right at Hannaford when I stepped out the door. I didn't have to
cook because I had leftovers to microwave. Eugene gave me two candy
bars. And I had sweet Tobago to come home to.
Don't you love purrrfect days like that?
A great big shout out goes out to the tech savvy students who work at
Fogler helping the less than savvy (like yours truly) accomplish our
computer involving homework and Tobago who was so happy when I got home.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment