Friday, February 14, 2020

Redwood and Ponytail

Redwood and Ponytail

YA fiction
If you've been following this blog for any length of time you
know that romance is the genre dead last on my to read list. Any kind
of romance. But now and then there is the book that is so non
formulaic, so special that I end up reading it cover to cover and
loving it. K. A. Holt's Redwood and Ponytail, told in free verse, is
one of the beautiful exceptions. I was sad when I came to the last
page, wanting to know where life would take the main characters next.
And today's Valentines Day which makes it the purrrfect day to post
this review.
Ponytail (Kate) is the popular, perky cheerleader, every hair in
place, bow at a perfect angle.
"I love it!
At least I think I do.
I always have loved it,
so surely this year will be the same.
School itself is neither here nor there
but all the kids and clubs and stuff?
That's the fun part.
Right?"
Her mom was cheer captain in the day and is helping Kate follow in her
sneaker steps. Maybe tickets to a popular concert for the whole squad
will help seal the deal.
Redwood (Tam) is a tall athlete who does not dress for cheer
success.
"Yeah, I could hit a basket or two.
Yeah, I could play some ball.
But I'm not his son.
I'm not a man.
And just because
I'm wearing a snapback
and Chucks,
that doesn't mean I'm a dude."
School for her is not all about the clubs and the kids. Her social
life is pretty much built around one boy who has been her bestie since
kinder. Her mom is a hippy who has no intention of making her over
into superficial perfection.
So you'd think they would not enter the same social orbit, never
mind fall in mutual love. But one day Kate sits with Tam at lunch
instead of her usual cheer crowd. And another day Tam is going to the
football game to watch Kate cheer. Yet another day Kate watches Tam's
volleyball game. They're meeting each other's moms. They're having
feelings they don't understand.
"...The more I see her,
the more we talk,
the bigger the wave gets,
the more I feel...
swept up."
Then one day it happens. As Kate and Tam walk together to
class, their pinkies, swinging in parallel arcs, bump and then
intertwine. They're walking through school holding hands.
But what does this mean? Where do they go from that point? And
how do they deal with people who won't approve...
...like a certain mom who won't let anything stand in the way of
her daughter claiming the number one cheer spot.
On a purrrsonal note, I have ambivolant feelings about today. I love
the idea of a day of expressing love and appreciation for everyone who
matters. I hate how it's so commercialized like unless someone spends
too much buying you jewelery and candy and flowers you're nada. I
hate how it's all about romance so a lot of people who aren't in
relationships feel lonely. I say let's take it back. I make it a day
to celebrate every being who helps make my life super worth living,
yes, my husband, but also my incredible kids, my work and school
friends, the academic advisor who remains enthusiastic and supportive
through my unconventional academic career, the manager who took me to
Waterville to help me find the cat who was all I wanted for Christmas,
and the dear cat who is right now snoozing contentedly in her loft.
Not to mention precious Joey cat who was my best little friend for 16
years until cancer stole him from me.
A great big shout out goes out to you, my readers, whose loyalty I
greatly appreciate. This my valentines card to you. May your
Valentines Day be all you hoped for. And may you deny the grinches of
big bidbess the chance to make it all about bling.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment