Saturday, February 1, 2020

Hair Love

Hair Love

Picture book
When my daughters were little I did most of the traditional
mothering tasks. Hair care, however, was one of the things I was
totally inept at. When Amber and Katie's long hair snarled it was
their construction worker dad who carefully combed the tangles out.
So I was delighted to Matthew A. Cherry's Hair Love.
"My name is Zuri, and I have hair that has a mind of its own.
It kinks, coils, and curls each way."
Zuri's father has lots of ways of styling her hair that help her
feel beautiful. Beaded braids transform her into a princess. With
puffs she's a superhero.
One very special day Zuri wants a perfect do. Dad's first
attempts leave something to be desired. But he isn't giving up. And
that makes the book a fine celebration of the love of a father for his
beloved daughter.
Besides the human members, the family includes Rocky, a grey cat
with a very expressive face and body language whom parents and
children will enjoying finding on the different pages. Rocky kneading
Zuri early in the morning with a thought bubble encircling a can of
cat food will surely provoke knowing laughter.
Hair Love is a sweet and gentle book for families to share.
On a purrrsonal note, Friday I had two great surprises. The first was
pancakes made any way you like in the commuter lounge. I had mine
with blueberries and butterscotch chips and topped them with real
maple syrup and whipped cream. They were devine. They were better
than Dennys. What a way to start a day!
The other--you're going to have to wait on that one. But, let me tell
you, it is MAJOR! When I read the email I screamed out loud right in
the periodicals room of UMaine's Fogler Library...
A great big shout out goes out to our commuter lounge pancake making
crew. You add so much to our days with your culinary wizardry!
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment