Thursday, February 20, 2020

Slay

Slay

YA fiction
"By day, I'm an honors student at Jefferson Academy. At night,
I turn into the Nubian goddess most people know as Emerald."
Kiera, protagonist of Brittney Morris' Slay, spends much of her
nights corunning and fixing glitches on the multiplayer video game,
Slay, that she has developed. It's deeper than the name would imply,
based on Black history and culture. It's the only space she has where
she can be her authentic self. And she's proud to have created a
space where tens of thousands of people can be their authentic selves.
This is a pride Kiera keeps to herself in her off line life,
concocting ruses to keep friends and family from discovering her
virtual world. When her boyfriend, Malcolm, wants to come over to her
house one night she pleads homework in his least favorite subject.
"...He'd ask me why I've poured so much effort into a video game
when I could be focusing on college prep and getting a good job, so I
don't join what he is constantly reminding me of: the mass of Black
people who waste their time on video games, junk food, drugs,
unemployment, baby daddy drama, and child support. According to him,
video games are distractions promoted by society to slowly erode the
focus and ambition of Black men..."
At school Kiera, her sister, Steph, and Malcolm are the sole
representatives of their race and considered to be THE authorities on
all things Black, like if Whites are allowed to get dreads. Although
at times she's tempted to let Steph in on the world she's created,
unsure how her family will react, she doesn't. She doesn't want to do
anything that might possibly cause the destruction of her beloved game.
Then a boy a little younger than Kiera is killed over slay.
Some people are calling the game racist. There is talk of a lawsuit.
Will Kiera lose what she has worked so hard to create--a space where
she and so many others can feel comfortable and confident?
You'll really want to read the book to see.
On a purrrsonal note, I had an epiphany regarding computers. In the 3
1/3 semesters I've been in graduate school a number of assignments
have involved computer skills I don't have. Then it's always OMG it's
due so SOON! So far I've gotten by with a lot of my friends. Crisis
mode is getting old fast, especially where I've decided I want to go
beyond my masters. I've decided I am going to find out what skills I
need and create projects that will create something in my field while
making these skills my own. Wish me luck.
A great big shout out goes out to all my friends who help me survive
my computer crises.
jules hathaway






Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment