Sunday, July 14, 2024

Where You See Yourself

I rarely make the mistake of judging a book by its cover. But last June when Claire Forrest's Where You See Yourself landed in Orono Public Library's YA new book section I passed it by without a second glance. I was getting more than enough reading material through inter library loans. But this July with inter library loan books unavailable for an indefinite period of time I was looking more closely at my home library's more recent acquisitions. I checked it out. I'm very glad I did.
Effie is on the cusp of one of the most pivotal transitions in teen life. She's starting her senior year in high school. Finding and getting into the right college has taken on a great deal of urgency for her and her peers. But it will be more challenging foe Effie. She needs a school with adequate disability accommodations. Being born with cerebral palsy, she uses a wheelchair to get around.
Effie also wants to enjoy the special events such as prom leading up to graduation. This is also far from easy. So many things that are easy for her peers require accommodations for her. Her high school is very negligent in this regard and dismissive of her demands for change, even when other students stage a sit in on her behalf.
Effie is very specific in her plans. She is very frustrated with disabled people's lack in representation in mass media and wants to do something about that. She sees Prospect's Mass Media and Society program as the best route to take. Making things sweeter, it's the first choice school of her crush.
But what if her dream school is an accommodations nightmare?
This highly engaging coming of age narrative can provide representation for similarly disabled teens and enlightenment for their more able bodies peers.
On a purrrsonal note, it wasn't only the lack of ILL books that made Where You See Yourself suddenly look attractive. It was facing the challenges of retuning to graduate school less than four months after a stroke that made it more personally relevant. But I have an accommodations problem that goes back much further. Because I've flunked the driving test in two states I can't get a drivers license. I've got no problem with that. I'd be a danger behind the wheel. I love my school and am a proud member of Black Bear Nation. But the last bus leaves UMaine at 6:15 making campus activities out of reach for bus dependent students. It is so frustrating. But I haven't given up.
A great big shout out to students with disabilities trying to live their best lives and allies.
Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment