Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens

If it was an option, Nima, protagonist of Tanya Bateju's Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens would probably divorce herself.
"Up to that point, my heart hadn't experienced much in the way of leaping, or thumping, or any similar exertions. Life had been crammed with more "existing" and "observing" than other, action-related verbs."
She's tired of her boring personality. She's tired of her nonexistent social life. She still doesn't understand why her mom left her and her dad without a word over a year ago. And the girl she has a long term crush on is hopelessly heterosexual.
Nima is ready for a major change…
…And it's about to start right in her dull as dirt town. There's a new act at her town's summer festival—a drag show. It's a real revelation for Nima. She manages to meet some of the performers who draw her into their family of choice. Soon she's making her drag debut and crushing on a girl who just might have feelings for her.
This coming of age narrative is simply amazing. Bateju beautifully captures the vibrant, inclusive, and diverse community that is drag.
On a purrrsonal note, as a nine year veteran I'm drag royalty in my part of Maine. Even after a stroke my performing can draw a standing ovation. I will never forget my first performance. It was at UMaine. I'd chosen the theme song of the movie Grease. I was wearing black jeans, a leather jacket, and one of the black tees Adam had left at home when he moved out. I was standing on stage. The lights came up. My music started. I started dancing. The audience went wild. I didn't have to think what to do; my body just knew. I felt like I was soaring among the stars in a brilliant night sky. I must have done well. I won a trophy for best king.
But even more important was my epiphany. People were telling me I did a great job pretending to be a guy. But I wasn't pretending to be anything. I was doing me. I fully realized and began to embrace my gender fluidity. After decades of people telling me to be more feminine this revelation was immensely liberating.
A great big shout out goes out to the performers, the crews, and the audiences who co create the magic that is drag.
Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment