Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Drawing Deena

To many parents such as the mother of Deena, protagonist of Hena Kahn's Drawing Deena, the idea of their children suffering from anxiety seems inconceivable. What do they have to be anxious about when all their needs are taken care of? But a growing number of kids are being diagnosed with the condition and needing coping strategies. And sometimes their stress has its roots at least partly in family life.
Deena's mother worries about money a lot. She complains bitterly about the lack thereof. As the book starts they are at the dentist's office where they learn that Deena will need a mouthguard to keep her from grinding her teeth at night. In the privacy of their car her mother won't stop kvetching.
"I slide down in my seat and turn up the music. Maybe that way my mother will stop talking about how my teeth are going to bankrupt us. Part of me wants to point out that it's not like I did this on purpose."
Her parents fight over money and their differing priorities for it in hushed conversations she eavesdrops on. She can't decide who is right.
Social media is another area of confusion and conflict. She goes on it to help her mother publicize her home business selling traditional Pakistani garments. But suddenly she's fighting with her best friend and her cousin.
Deena loves art. She wants lessons that can help her discover her own unique style. But her mother considers them too expensive and too much of a distraction from academics.
Drawing Deena is a very poignant and powerful coming of age narrative that quite a few younger readers will identify with.
On a purrrsonal note, we're just four days away the Greystone Mobile Home Cooperative barbecue where I'll be giving out the backpacks filled with school supplies. I'll also have little toys and activities for the kids. I can hardly wait.
A great big shout out goes out to my neighborhood community.
Jules Hathaway

No comments:

Post a Comment