Sunday, July 28, 2024

Hoops (juvenile graphic novel)

     In Hoops author-illustrator Matt Tavares delivers a lesson in girls' sports history through a highly engaging graphic novel format. He wanted it to be something kids would really  want to read.  That in my mind was a great decision on his part. 
    In 1976 best friends Judi and Stace are co captains of their high school's cheer squad. It's a role Stace has enthusiastically prepared for for years. Judi not so much. 
     They react very differently to an  announcement that their school will have a girls basketball team for the first time. Stace is dismissive; Judi quits cheering to join the team. 
     It's an uphill battle. As they learn to work together as a team the girls find themselves up against more than opposing schools. The boys team has the amenities, the funding, the publicity, the uniforms.
     And Judi has to deal with the loss of her long-term best friend.
     Young readers readers will be captivated by the team's struggles to establish themselves on and off the court. The combination of words and images conveys the spirit of the narrative far better than words alone ever could.
On a purrrsonal note, I was a first year college student in 1979. I was not an athlete, but I was a feminist. I was angry that although the women's team outperformed the men's team the guys got all the publicity. But I had a weapon. I found the loudspeaker in the one cafeteria and regularly used it to promote the women's teams. The women's softball team found a way to promote me.  They got the signatures for me to run for class president. I was some surprised when I saw their posters! I won and started on the path that took me through student government to 11 years on school board as an engaged (and sometimes enraged) parent.
A great big shout out goes out to women athletes and their allies. 
Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment