Thursday, January 26, 2023

Trombone Shorty


Juvenile autobiography 
     Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews is now a famous musician who has played for President Barack Obama and been chosen to do the closing set at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  His Trombone Shorty tells readers how he got his start.
     Andrews grew up in New Orleans Treme neighborhood, a community poor in money, but rich in music.  His home too was rich in music.  His older brother led his own band.
    During Mardi Gras brass bands paraded through his neighborhood.  He and his friends would make their own instruments out of whatever was on hand.  Then one day he found a discarded beat up trombone about as long as he was tall.  He taught himself songs and practiced religiously.
     Bryan Collier's illustrations, a combination of collage and watercolor, help bring the text to life vividly and dynamically.
     As a professional musician, Andrews looks both backward and forward, determined to help preserve New Orleans' rich musical heritage and to help its fledgling musicians get a start.
     " I wanted to write this book to try to inspire hope in kids who might be growing up under difficult circumstances but who also have a dream, just like I did.  I'm living proof that as long as you work hard, you can make your dreams come true."
On a purrrsonal note, I have some AMAZING news to share!  I've been working with my event planning partner, on an event to celebrate UMaine student volunteering.  It will be held on Valentines Day.  Yesterday the college president told me that her office will do whatever is necessary to make sure it happens and we can have tee shirts made up.  She'll find the money.  OMG!!!  To think a little idea I had can have that kind of buy in!!!  This feels like a major step toward making my dream which is earning my degree and getting a job at UMaine come true.  (Jules)
I made my dream of having a home and family come true.  When I was at Waterville Humane Society I kept myself well groomed and acted adorable and irresistible.  Now I am a happy house cat.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to dreamers and mentors.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment