Sunday, January 22, 2023

The Forgotten Girl

Juvenile fiction
      "She did this twice more, then started to get discouraged.  Daniel was much more of a rule follower than she was.  Iris could go by herself, of course, but it wouldn't be as fun without him."
     In Easaw, North Carolina, setting of India Hill Brown's The Forgotten Girl, it's the first snow of the winter.  Iris' parents have told her she can go out and play in the morning.  But morning isn't soon enough.  Iris decides on a stealth mission with best friend Daniel.  If they get caught they'll be in trouble not only for sneaking out in the middle of the night, but for entering the woods beyond the houses.
     When Iris makes a snow angel Daniel spots something under the angel's chest.  They discover the tombstone of Avery Moore, a child who had been their age when she died.
     "Iris shivered again.  They were both silent, probably thinking the same thing--What happened to her?  Why was she buried there?"
     Both kids feel a frightening presence and hurry home.  A sinister entity seems to follow them.  Iris begins to have vivid nightmares.  She keeps waking up to find her window open.  Her little sister, Vashti, begins talking to and laughing with an imaginary friend.
     When Iris and Daniel do some research on Avery they discover not only her story, but an ugly facet of her town's history.
     I consider The Forgotten Girl to be a great read for kids who enjoy spine chilling mysteries.  But you don't have to take my word for it.  According  to none other than R. L. Stine, author of the Goosebumps series, "This ghost story gave me chill after chill.  It will haunt you."
On a purrrsonal note, I had such a lovely relaxing weekend.  I stayed in pajamas and didn't go any further than the mailbox.  What's exciting is that my writing muse got really fired up and I made good progress on my memoir.  Maybe I'll have the first draft ready by Amber's late May birthday.  What was most enchanting was all my cuddle time with my best little cat in the world.  (Jules)
Yeah, me!!!  The enchantment was mutual of course.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene who spent a lot of his snow plowing overtime on food.  The freezer, fridge, and cupboards are packed.  Lots of people and cats aren't this fortunate.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment