Thursday, January 26, 2023

Don't Touch My Hair

Picture book 
     The clueless and disrespectful tendency of many whites to touch Black peoples' hair, often without even asking permission, has been thoroughly explored in adult books.  Now in Don't Touch My Hair Sharee Miller brings the topic to life for the picture book set.
     Aria loves her hair and the many things she can do with it.
"Styled or wild, I don't care!
I just want it to be free."
She likes the compliments she gets.  But she doesn't appreciate all the unwanted touching.  When it gets to be too much she decides to assert her hands off message.
     Miller based the book on her own experiences.  Although it focuses on hair, she considers it a teaching tool on the importance of boundaries.
On a purrrsonal note, we had a snowy night.  Only somehow in the wee hours of the morning the snow morphed into rain which made for a damn mess.  Luckily for me Eugene was able to give me a ride to school.  He's also going to pick me up when I finish my internship office hours.  :) I'm also lucky that school is opening late instead of being totally canceled.  I can tack an hour onto my office time today  and tomorrow.  But having to reschedule a whole day would have been problematic.  Next week with three internship days and two days running canteen for the Red Cross blood drive I am booked.  The week after that I'll lose a day for my pre surgery appointment.  I am so glad I had the good sense to not be trying to also work dining.  (Jules)
It is truly gross out there.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to blizzard battlers and the people who didn't cancel school today.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment