Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Why We Fly

Why We Fly

YA fiction
"...I stare at the side of his face, willing him to say, Go
ahead, Leni. Make an appointment with Dr. Ratliff so he can give you
medical clearance to cheer senior year. So you don't have to sit out
your last year on the team, and your final memories of the class of
2019 aren't limited to a physical therapist's office. So you don't
lose your shot at cheering in college."
Leni had been injured in a collapsing cheer formation during her
junior year. Coming back from her second and more serious concussion,
she's had to sit out about a year. She's put a lot of effort into
physical therapy. Now she wants it to pay off already.
"When Coach Tarasenko calls for a volunteer, my hand shoots into
the air faster than anyone else's. They don't even stand a chance.
Because this is my chance to show a legendary cheer choreographer what
I'm capable of..."
While Leni waits anxiously on a doctor's verdict her best
friend, Nelly, is at an elite cheer camp learning from Olympic
coaches. She has her whole life mapped out. She and Leni will go to
a college that has both competitive business programs and elite cheer
squads...
...or maybe not. Leni's grades are not so hot. She's counting
on cheering to differentiate her from her competition. And the
forever friendship is starting to fray. Nelly has counted on being
elected team captain. She's devastated when Leni is chosen even after
having to sit out a year.
Then there's a guy situation. Leni has caught the eye of Three,
a football at the girls' school. Now she's flying high on what seems
to be a budding romance. Nelly fears the relationship will derail her
from a focus on the future.
But what really comes between them is a the fallout from a
student protest. The cheer team takes a knee when the national anthem
is played before a football game. The next week they're joined by
other organizations including a large part of the band. That's when
the administration puts its collective foot down. But, although a
huge number of students were involved only one, Nelly, is punished.
Not coincidentally she's the only Black on the cheer squad. Her nine
day suspension has the potential to put her carefully crafted college
plans in jeopardy.
Will the girls' friendship stand the tests of some pretty
formidable challenges?
There's only one way to find out. Pick up Kimberly Jones and
Gilly Segal's Why We Fly and I predict you won't be able to put it down.
On a purrrsonal note, Monday I realized I had a bunch of interlibrary
loan books I needed to return on time. So I had myself a little
reading and review writing marathon, most of it on the sofa near the
lovely tree. I was gunning for the 2:00 bus to Orono. I finished the
last review with just minutes to dress and pack. I was still in my
pajamas. I made the bus. I returned the books. Of course I borrowed
more. I also stopped by the gift bins at my church. I picked out
some books for a toddler. Then in the last bin I saw a slender box.
I was thinking, it can't be! But it was something I've been trying to
find for years. Now I have my own magic wand. I know I can't wave it
and intone a spell and get results. But it has already started
helping me tap into the magic that is in me. Just holding it makes me
feel stronger and more focussed. It's extra special because it found
me not vice versa and I acquired it on Winter Solstice. (Jules)
I don't need a wand. Cats are born endowed with magic. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Orono Public Library. They're
collecting food for Black Bear Exchange. It's yet another way in
which they serve the public.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment