Friday, December 24, 2021

A Christmas Classic Revisited

A Christmas Classic Revisited

(Jules) Tis the day before Christmas
And all through the house
Tobago has prowled
On alert for a mouse...

...(Tobago) No critters are gnawing
From inside the wall.
When it comes to vermin
I eliminate all...

...(Jules) We've got seventeen hours
Like well over a day
Before Santa pulls up
From the North Pole way
Bringing those presents
All stashed in his sleigh...

...(Tobago) I'm all snuggled up
In my little kitty bed
With visions of cat treats
Dancing through my head.
I've been such a good kitty,
So very very good
He's put me on the nice list
As well he should...

...(Jules) The vista outside
Is a glistening white
Bringing to many
A sense of delight.
My decorated tree
Is a vision to see
Of lovliness of course
According to me.
But Eugene would be
The first to disagree.
He thinks matchy match balls
Are the way to go
When the unique and homemade
Delight me so...

...(Tobago) Well who did he leave
To carry out the job,
Knowing you aren't
A seasonal snob...

...(Jules) I've wrapped my gifts
Which wasn't so hard
Money can fit
Right into a card.
Some would criticize me
For being impersonal
But shopping can be
Downright impossible
Because I still
Am unable to drive,
Frostbite not being something
For which I should strive.
What did I forget?
What did I forget?
Something tells me I haven't
Covered all the bases yet...

...(Tobago) Get the oven fired up
And be baking some cookies
Show Santa you're a pro
And not just a rookie.
And ditch the pajamas
Your son's on his way
To deliver some gifts
In a car, not a sleigh...

...(Jules) I'll get that all done.
You know I always do...

...(Tobago) Well then maybe stop
Feeling so blue.
Your soul is so frosty
It's making me shiver...

...(Jules) What would thaw my soul
Santa just can't deliver.
I can only be feeling
Some hope and good cheer
In reminding myself
Maybe next year
The family will be
Together at last
With fears of contagion
A nightmarish past
I hope that the magic
Returns by tomorrow:
The presence of joy
Rather than sorrow
Or nothing at all
Which seems to be even worse...

...(Tobago) I feel that we should
Be ending this verse.
Let's close with a message
For friends far and near...

...May your Christmas be full
Of joy and good cheer
And, if safe, the presence
Of those you hold dear.










Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment