Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Tinker Dabble Doodle Try

Tinker Dabble Doodle Try

Adult nonfiction
"For all the clear benefits of focus, however, I believe that too
many of us have (unwittingly) bought into the cult of focus: the
belief that focus is the capability above all capabilities, the core
competency to strive for. In truth, focus in isolation will actually
work against you and disempower you."
One of my most vivid memories of my first grad school semester
is professor Elizabeth Allan emphasizing the importance of building
breaks into our study routines, of walking away from the books to do
something entirely different. I could play with precious Joey cat,
grab a snack, take pictures of the sunrise... It was the opposite of
what I'd been told all my life. You sit down, push all distractions
out of your mind, and stay focussed until all your work is done. You
could take a break if you had to pee. Elizabeth would say we'd get
more done by taking those breaks. She was right. Nonstop studying
would leave me in a state of cognitive diminishing returns. Every
time I'd take a break I'd come back with a fresh spark. It was
quality study rather than slog it out to the bitter end time.
If she hasn't already read it, Elizabeth would probably enjoy
reading Dr. Srini Pillay's Tinker Dabble Doodle Try: Unlock the Power
of the Unfocussed Mind. Pillay compares focus to a narrow beam of
light. It can be highly useful. But it can't be the only tool in
your kit. It can blind you to all that goes on in the periphery.
Think of the invisible gorilla experiment. (Google it if you haven't
heard of it.)
Pillay says that the brain works best with a balance of
unfocused and unfocussed time: between zoomed in and panoramic views.
You use both settings of your flashlight.
In his eminently readable book Pillay teaches us produductive
ways of constructive unfocus. (No, it is not binge watching your
favorite tv show.) Realizing how indoctrinated most of us have been in
focus above all else, he teaches us how to accept and embrace what may
seem threateningly like a fancy word for laziness, a taboo in our
society.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who feels burnt out, at a dead
end, or at loose ends in any facet of their life or simply wants to be
more genuinely engaged, positive, or creative. I believe that's a lot
of us.
Now you'll have to excuse me because it's time for a break and
precious Tobago is letting me know she needs a belly rub.
On a purrrsonal note, barring Alzheimers, I'll never forget that first
grad school class three years ago. It was quite a contrast to
undergrad and before. Every class there were small group projects.
It was very much active learning, very exciting. I loved every
minute. Class was also very challenging because I was way behind on
the computer skills we needed. Luckily Elizabeth's GA, Caroline,
didn't mind me showing up at every office hour she held. I dreaded
the required poster presentation (think science fair for grad
students) that would cap off class. I knew my computer skills
wouldn't be up to it. Elizabeth wanted me to TRY. We were getting
right up to the deadline when I recalled my kids doing science fair
posters by hand. So I did. I thought my poster would be shabby in
contrast to everyone else's. Only it turned out to be one of the most
popular ones. That class taught me that even though my computer
skills were remedial, even though I was earning tuition in dining
rather than a fancy GA, I belong in the program and have as much to
offer as anyone else. (Jules)
Elizabeth Allan is a genius. Of course anyone who takes breaks to
engage with a companion cat will learn better. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Elizabeth and Caroline for a class
that was in my zone of proximal development: not too easy, not too
hard, but achievable with a good balance of focus, cat assisted study
breaks, and help when I hit dead ends.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment