Thursday, December 24, 2020

They Wish They Were Us

They Wish They Were Us

YA/adult mystery
I think many of us enjoy seeing the tarnish on the gold, the
dark sides of the societies to which we'd never be admitted. So a
mystery involving a privileged group within an elite, monied private
school?
Delightfully decadent.
Jill Newman, protagonist of Jessica Goodman's They Wish They
Were Us, is a scholarship student at Gold Coast Prep and a member of
the Players, an elite group with access to not only the prime
cafeteria turf and best parties and status, but files of test answers
and other insider information designed to pave the way to unearned
success.
Jill and her Player cohort are at the pinnacle of their high
school power. They've paid their dues, passed all the pops
(challenges), some designed to tap into their deepest fears, that they
were given to show themselves worthy of membership. Now this is their
year, the year they will rule the school.
Jill is not entirely a happy camper. She knows how cruel and
dangerous the pops can be. Her beloved little brother, Jared, has
been selected as a potential player.
And then there are emails she's started to get alluding to the
death of her best friend, Shaila, during their freshman spring Players
initiation. Cause of death was listed as blunt force trauma.
Boyfriend Graham is doing time.
Jill begins to get emails from Rachel, Graham's older sister.
"I know you probably never want to hear from me again, but I
have to tell you something.
Graham didn't kill Shaila. He's innocent.
It's all so ducked up. Can we talk?"
What if Graham wasn't the killer? What if it's someone Jill and
her friends trust, someone who might strike again? And what kinds of
risks would connecting with Rachel involve? The Players just want to
move on and Gold Coast Prep can't afford the negative publicity a
reopened investigation would bring.
Reading They Wish They Were Us was the spooktacular highlight of
my mostly home alone Halloween. I highly recommend the book.
On a purrrsonal note, the tree is decorated. I've sent out gifts and
cards. I've baked the cookies. Now Tobago and I are enjoying the
peace and quiet before the most unpredictable Christmas ever or at
least in our life times. (Jules)
I'm watching for the man in the red suit. I really want to see those
flying reindeer. And word on the street is that I'm on the nice list.
(Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all our readers who celebrate
Christmas. May you have a safe and joyous day!
Tobago and Jules Hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment