Friday, December 18, 2020

Biased

Biased

Adult nonfiction
Talk about inter library loan serindipity! I received two books
on the same day from Patten (northern Maine) and Bar Harbor (the
coast) libraries. Recall Lisa Bloom discussed implicit bias in the
context of the George Zimmerman trial? In Biased: Uncovering the
Hidden Prejudice That Shapes What We See, Think, and Do Jennifer L.
Eberhardt, PhD devotes a whole book to the topic.
"This book is an examination of implicit bias--what it is, where
it comes from, and how we can address it. Implicit bias is not a new
way of calling someone a racist. In fact, you don't have to be a
racist at all to be influenced by it. Implicit bias is a kind of
distorting lens that's a product of both the architecture of our
brains and the disparities in our society."
Discerning implicit bias and learning where it comes from and
how it works in order to eliminate or at least mitigate it is
Eberhardt's life mission. She's a psychology professor at Stanford,
but one who does leave the ivory tower. She consults for
organizations such as police departments. She's a Black Woman who has
had to have difficult discussions with her sons. In Biased she ties
these strands together: research, real world scenarios (including
being in Charlottesville when white nationalists descended on and
terrorized a university and its surrounding community), and her life
story to help make a concept that is often kept abstract or used as an
insult understandable and relatable.
Eberhardt has seen a lot of the worst America has to offer.
Still she's hopeful. She believes that we all have roles in exposing
and eliminating racial bias.
"Neither our evolutionary path nor our present culture dooms us
to be held hostage by bias. Change requires a kind of open-minded
attention that is well within our reach. There are successful
approaches we can learn from and new ways of thinking that we can
build upon, whether we are trying to change ourselves or the settings
where we live, work, and learn."
Through Biased Eberhardt invites readers to join her in her
journey of discovery. This is an invitation well worth accepting.
On a purrrsonal note, this has been quite a week! Monday my counselor
helped me get beyond frustration while assuring me that during a
pandemic frustration is very legitimate. Lethargic and distractable
to engaged and focussed. That night Eugene drove me around to look at
all the beautiful Christmas lights--one of my favorite holiday
traditions. Wednesday my choir friend Connie gave me a ride to the
credit union so I could transfer money to the checking account so I
can pay next semester's tuition. She bought me a flavored coffee and
big ginger cookie at Ampersand. (If you're ever in Orono, Maine check
them out. Their cookies are the cat's pajamas.) Wednesday was choir
zoom get together. We all enjoyed catching up. Our sole feline
member, Tobago, made a gracious appearance. Yesterday we had a snow
storm. Eugene plowed last night. He's safely home. I am trying out
a new ginger cookie recipe which I hope will turn out well because
tomorrow Adam will stop by to drop off and pick up gifts and I'm
baking the cookies for him. He really likes my baking. (Jules)
I am a choir member. I haz dulcet tones. I had to google that. It
means my voice is sweet to the ear. Of course it is. I'm a cat.
(Tobago)
Great big shout outs go out to to Libbey (counselor), Eugene, the
people who put up all the lovely lights, Connie, Roberta who runs
Ampersand as not only a store but community gathering place, our choir
family, and, of course, Adam, who we are so looking forward to seeing.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment