Monday, October 19, 2020

Two Can Keep A Secret

Two Can Keep A Secret

YA mystery
"This time it's not just graffiti. Three dolls hang from the
top of a mausoleum, nooses around their necks. They're all wearing
crowns and long, glittering dresses, drenched in red paint. And just
like at the cultural center, red letters drip like blood across the
white stone beneath them:
I'M BACK
PICK YOUR QUEEN, ECHO RIDGE
HAPPY HOMECOMING"
Echo Ridge, setting of Karen McManus' Two Can Keep A Secret, is
your basic quaint American small town...
...except for the fact that the main source of teen jobs is a
horror theme park whose name was changed from Murderland to Fright
Farm after...
...In Echo Ridge not all high school homecomings end well.
Ellery is coming to Echo Ridge to live with her grandmother
while her mother, Sadie, serves a court mandated rehab. Back in their
high school days Sadie was crowned homecoming queen while her twin
sister, Sarah, disappeared, never to be seen again. Although Ellery
and twin brother, Ezra, have never before set foot in Echo Ridge,
everyone knows who they are.
Malcolm has lived in Echo Ridge most of his life, much of it as
an outcast. Five years earlier the town's beloved homecoming queen,
Lacey, disappeared. Her body was discovered near the theme park
ferris wheel. Malcolm's brother, DeClan, as Lacey's boyfriend, was
chief suspect. When he left town the community's anger was diverted
to Malcolm.
Ominous omens are appearing. The upcoming homecoming may very
well have a sinister aftermath.
The narrative, told in Ellery and Malcolm's alternating voices,
is as spine chilling as the Fright Farm roller coaster. Come along
for a wild ride...
...if you dare.
A very good choice for a Halloween read!
On a purrrsonal note, I had a mostly good weekend. Tobago sat on my
lap for five minutes. It's the first time she ever has! I was so
filled with joy! I may yet have a lap cat. I finished my third
statistics assignment and had the heady feeling of really owning the
concepts. I talked to all three of my kids on the phone. At zoom
church after the service two of my friends were talking about how
excellent my poems are. And of course I had me some good reading.
The only source of stress was Eugene leaving his cell phone at home
when he did an overnight at camp. Out in the middle of nowhere with
no way to call for help in an emergency. Like if he was cutting up
wood and his chainsaw slipped. I was so glad to see him safely
home!!! (Jules)
I was so happy to see him too! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene and our children.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment