Friday, October 23, 2020

In Search Of Safety

In Search Of Safety

YA/adult nonfiction
"It was a long, long process. It took about five years to be
vetted. First they interviewed us individually, and then as a family;
that is, everyone living in our house. We had to make a case about
why we couldn't go back to our birth country. What happened to you?
Why do you fear going back?...?
Refugees are not opportunists seeking to take advantage of
America's welfare system or terrorists out to sabotage our way of
life. They are people for whom staying in their often beloved
countries is just not safe. Usually they've suffered brutality and
lost family members. Many have had far from temporary stays in
primitive, dangerous refugee camps. Then when the lucky chosen few
arrive in America they face many challenges.
Susan Kuklin brings this harsh reality to life in her In Search
Of Safety, Voices of Refugees, quoted above, a rich blend of narrative
and photographs. Five refugees tell their stories. Readers will meet
*Fraidon (Afghanistan) who had to flee with his wife and very young
children because after years of assisting the American military the
Taliban was out to kill him;
*Nathan (Myanmar) who grew up in a refugee camp after his parents were
persecuted by members of another ethnic group;
*Nyaroot (South Sudan) who had to flee with her family when the men
with the guns came;
*Shireen who was captured and brutally abused by Isis--18 of her
family members are still missing;
and *Dieudonne (Burundi) who fled an ethnic massacre with his family.
"Throughout the day we saw many people dead or dying. The
rivers that we crossed, rivers that were once crystal clear water,
were now flowing red with blood. We were alone, terrified, thinking
someone could catch us at any time. It was horrific."
This book is very personal for Kuklin. Her grandparents had to
flee the perils of Russia and Ukraine. "...When my ancestors left
home, they knew they would never again see the country of their
birth. Never again would they see their parents, aunts, and
uncles..." Seeing the similarities between their experiences and those
of present day refugees, she decided to thank the former by letting
the latter tell their stories.
Finding the refugees turned out to be harder than Kuklin
expected. For many potential subjects the experience was still too
raw and painful to relive. Overworked agencies didn't have time to
connect her with people. Although she lives in New York City, home to
many of our nation's newcomers, she had to travel to Nebraska for this
project.
Although In Search Of Safety is targetted to YA readers, it's at
least as relevant for adults. In fact, when there is frank discussion
of topics like rape, I would be cautious about sharing it with younger
teens, especially more sensitive ones. At least read it first.
It is one of the most powerful books on the subject I've ever
seen.
On a purrrsonal note, the rest of my school week went well.
Statistics class was super! The second half was review which is when
Craig asks us the questions. I answered nearly all of them. In that
class I am the Hermione Granger. (If you don't get that allusion you
really need to read the Harry Potter series). Last night Eugene was
saying we need to change banks because the credit union has limited
hours. (I used to bring the money in when I was commuting to school.)
I said I'd bring it in. He said "But you don't use the bus." Not now
with COVID cases climbing again. He said I'd get run over on Route
2. I've been walking it over 30 years. He left the money out and I
handled the walk just fine, especially since my BFF Lisa gave me a
ride part of the way. (Masks and she has a big car). So the money
got put in the credit union, no one got run over or contaged. I was
happy to pocket the $20 Eugene said I could have...
...and I've made it through the second week of my exercise program
without missing a day!!! I'm gonna really get in shape!!!
I hope you have a great and safe weekend! (Jules)
It is getting colder now. The growly thing goes on now to make the
house toasty warm. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the legions of fuel delivery people
making their annointed rounds.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment