Wednesday, October 21, 2020

This Stops Today

This Stops Today

Adult nonfiction
"I know there are no simple answers, but I do think change is
possible. I always taught my children to respect law enforcement and
to watch how they come across. Even after everything that has
happened, I certainly don't blame all officers for Eric's death--just
the opposite. I only wanted to see justice against those who
participated in my son's suffering and choking. They are the only
ones at fault in my opinion."
Gwen Carr had no plans to become an activist. She was nearing
the end of her working years and looking forward to retirement,
envisioning a more leisurely life. She was probably looking forward
to having more time with her beloved grandchildren.
Then one fateful day changed her life. Her first born son, Eric
Garner, was choked to death by police officers who even ignored his
desperate plea that he couldn't breathe. His death had been filmed
by cell phones and gone viral on the Internet.
Carr had already lost her younger son to violence. As most of
us would have been in a similar situation, she was initially overcome
with grief and loss. Then, however, she chose a path most of us would
have shied away from. She decided that if she could keep Eric's
murder in the public consciousness, his name on people's lips, maybe
she could get justice for him and help make it so other people
wouldn't suffer his fate.
"...This was my new mission and my purpose. It fulfilled me and gave
me the satisfaction that I was truly putting my energy where it had
the most impact. I wasn't sitting at home. I was out in the
community, on the evening news, and on the radio, telling everyone my
story."
In This Stops Today, Carr shares her evolution from reserved
grandmother to daring activist. She also introduces readers to her
family including the loving son who was taken much too soon. This
fine book is a must read for those who believe that Black lives have
to matter immensely.
On a purrrsonal note, the first part of this work week has been
spectacular for me. First thing Monday morning I learned that my
grade for statistics assignment three is 100% excellent!!! I was so
pleased and proud I walked two miles each way to Tradewinds to buy a
pint of Ben & Jerrys Cherry Garcia ice cream just for me (getting my
walking out of the way and taking more seasonal pictures to share with
you at the same time.) I have the potential to go from statistics geek
to statistics goddess. Then Tuesday I had my first wellness checkup
in a couple of decades. It turns out that I am the picture of
health: strong, steady heartbeat, clear lungs...all that good stuff.
And when I shared my action plan to eliminate most of my bad habits
and cut the rest down to size (as in I don't want to totally give up
candy and ice cream) to the nurse practitioner who examined me and
showed her my walking record notebook she said, "Jules, you're amazing."
I am damn lucky too. There are so many people who have really crappy
diagnoses through no fault of their own. Like my mother-in-law who
has had to cope with Parkinsons for decades and my neighbor who uses a
wheelchair because of multiple sclerosis. I am going to be very
grateful and push for medical research into chronic illnesses using
subjects across all demographics rather than the "sexy" stuff that
earns huge profits for Big Pharma. (Jules)
I am glad my hooman is the picture of health. I need her. And not
just for opening cans of food. (Tobago)
A great big shout out to Craig, the prof who really makes statistics
come to life, and the crew of Mabel Wadsworth Women's Health Center.
They are so awesome that I'm going to have a wellness checkup every
year instead of every other decade. And a great big shout out to you,
my readers. Please get your flu shot like I just did. You do not
want to get the double whammy of COVID and flu at the same time.
Trust us on that.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment