Monday, October 5, 2020

The Last Time I Lied

The Last Time I Lied

Adult mystery
"The Girls could be anywhere. That's what you realize as you
stand in the water, shivering hard. They're out there. Somewhere.
And it could take days to find them. Or weeks. There's a chance
they'll never be found."
Ah, sleep over camp. Those unforgettable memories: sleeping in
a cabin with friends, meals at the lodge, swimming, arts and crafts,
campfires, camper abduction...
What? No one vanished in the dead of the night at your camp?
Guess you didn't attend Camp Nightingale, the setting brought eerily
to life in Riley Sager's The Last Time I Lied.
It isn't just any old camp. It's rumored to be haunted.
Midnight Lake, the body of water it's situated on, is man made. It
was created by flooding a valley even though the residents of an
institution had not been able to leave. It's believed that their
spirits linger at the place of their untimely death...
...or worse.
Protagonist Emma first attends camp as a thirteen-year-old.
Arriving late, she's placed in a cabin with older girls and befriended
by popular and tempestuous Vivian who considers her a younger sister.
It turns out that Vivian has decided to investigate a mystery. One
day she shows Emma a strange box.
And one day Emma wakes up to find her three cabinmates missing.
Police and townspeople search the area intensively. The girls can't
be found. The camp is closed.
Emma becomes an artist haunted by the past. In every one of her
pictures she draws three girls and then paints a frightening forest
scene over them. She carries a guilty secret related to her
cabinmates' disappearance.
So when, fifteen years later, the camp is reopened and she's
invited to come back as an arts instructor, she returns, feeling that
she owes it to the missing girls to discover what happened to them...
...only the same malevolent forces that Vivian had sensed may
still be present and ready to menace Emma and a new group of campers.
On a purrrsonal note, I hope you had a good weekend. I did. Eugene
went to camp to hunt. I stayed to home with precious Tobago. I had a
productive work day. I let myself read five hours at night and
finished off my birthday candy. When Eugene got home Sunday we went
leaf peeping. We got subs for lunch. We stopped in at Goodwill and
he got me two cute cat shirts.
This Wednesday before class I'm going with my friend, Connie, to
donate blood. If I have enough iron to donate I'll have earned my 10
gallon pin. I've really been chowing down on iron rich foods. On the
way home we'll stop by a convenience store and I will get pringles,
chocolate candy, and a real soda. I have class Wednesday night. But
Thursday night I'll have me a reading and junk food party, which you
will benefit from when I review what I read. :-) (Jules)
They better not try to take my blood. I hate needles with a passion.
(Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the mystery writers who create such
good reading escapes for pandemic times.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment