Thursday, October 8, 2020

Home Before Dark

Home Before Dark

Adult mystery
"Every house a story.
Ours is a ghost story.
It's also a lie.
And now that yet another person has died within these walls,
it's finally time to tell the truth."
Maggie has been known for most of her life as the girl from the
Book. When she was five her parents bought a fixer upper mansion in
rural Vermont filled with pricey antiques for a suspiciously low
price. The realtor had to admit that it was a stigmatized property.
Bad things had happened there including a murder-suicide involving a
young child. But where else could they get such a great property dirt
cheap?
Only the place turns out to be not such a bargain. Bad stuff
starts happening almost as soon as they move in. Snakes infest the
place. Lights and a record player go on in seemingly empty rooms.
Creepy noises make sleep impossible. Maggie is tormented by a trio of
menacing ghosts. Over a period of twenty days the horrors escalate so
rapidly that the family is forced to flee for their lives, leaving all
their possessions behind.
Maggie's father writes a memoir that becomes a viral best
seller. Some people believe every word. Others see it as a scam. As
a child and teen Maggie was isolated by peers who saw her as weird.
Even as an adult she's recognized by people who want juicy details.
What was it really like to live in Baneberry Hall for twenty days?
When her father dies he wills the place--now greatly run down--
to Maggie. She returns not only to renovate it enough to sell, but to
seek out the truth. She's convinced that the book was pure fabrication.
Or was it? As soon as she sets foot in the house manifestations
of peril and evil begin again. Surprisingly some locals say the story
is authentic.
What can she believe?
Chapters alternate between decades with Maggie narrating the
later ones and her father the earlier ones. Lovers of spine chilling
mysteries, especially Simone St. James fans, will find Home Before
Dark to be a must read.
On a purrrsonal note, I succeeded in donating blood yesterday,
completing my tenth gallon. I was so happy because, thanks to the
pandemic, I hadn't been able to donate since February. I ate iron
fortified cereal by the boxful. I intend to stay in the 99th
percentile. My friend who gave me a ride, Connie, also donated.
Saving lives makes for a good day trip. Afterward at Tradewinds she
paid for my candy and ice tea to celebrate my tenth gallon which I
greatly appreciated. My kids are so proud of me. (Jules)
My hooman is studying too much. It can't be good for anyone. I have
to keep sitting on the textbook to distract her with my total
adorableness. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the Red Cross nurses and Connie and
my kids.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment