Saturday, June 6, 2020

Turning Pages

Turning Pages

Juvenile herstory
"My story is a story about books--of poems and comics, of law
and mystery, of science and science fiction--written both in Spanish
and English."
In Turning points, her autobiography for young readers, Sonya
Sotomayor, the first Latina Supreme Court justice, frames her life
story through the lens of books. In each phase and turning point of
her life they served a unique and pivotal role. For example:
*when she was diagnosed with diabetes as a young child and had to
learn to give herself shots every day books served as bravery magic
potions through which she would gain superhero strength;
*when she was nine and her father died and her house was shrouded in
silence books were escape boats and her local library a sheltering
harbor;
*just like me, she was a Nancy Drew fan who would imagine herself
becoming like her girl sleuth heroine. These books were like time
machines, encouraging her to imagine a future self...
"The written word has been all these things to me and more for
as long as I can remember. Like flagstones on a path, every book I
ever read took me the next step I needed to go in school and in life,
even if I didn't know where the trail would lead.
Piece by piece my puzzle came together.
Where will your journey lead you?
On a purrrsonal note, A day later I still don't know what happened
when Trump visited Maine or how the protests turned out.
I can share a story of how smart Tobago is. Wednesday she was showing
a little too much interest in my knitting and not letting me distract
her. Finally I told her to go watch for Lisa who was going to stop by
to deliver food. Much to my surprise, she ran to her cat patio and
started scanning the street. A good while later she called me over.
And there was Lisa getting out of her little blue car. Tobago has
learned who Lisa is and where to find her. (Jules)
See, I am as smart as I am beautiful. And lots of other smart,
beautiful cats are at shelters, just waiting got homes. (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the people who find good homes for
cats and dogs.
(Tobago and Jules Hathaway)


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment