Saturday, June 6, 2020

Little Libraries, Big Heroes

Little Libraries, Big Heroes

Juvenile nonfiction
When I went to classes in happier days I always checked the
Little Free Library outside my academic building. Sometimes I find
something I really want to read. I just have to replace it with a
book I'm done with. Unlike a regular library book it won't come due.
So I can save it for when I have time in my graduaute school
schedule. The first week of spring semester I struck gold--three
books I really wanted including one I hadn't read by a favorite
author. (They were worth my weight in gold when shelter in place
started and I felt a real need to make my books last.)
That same week I also struck gold in the new books section of
Orono Public Library when I discovered Miranda Paul's Little
Libraries, Big Heroes. It tells the story of the Little Free Library
movement. It's a story Paul was very enthusiastic about sharing. As
a child she attended and as a teacher she worked in schools with
limited book access. She was also impressed with the wide range of
people, including children, who have become innovative members of the
movement.
As a boy, Todd wasn't a good student. He had trouble reading
and asked too many questions. His book loving mother, however, would
tell him he had "something big to offer the world."
Many years later when his mother died Todd was inspired by her
memory to create the first Little Free Library and place it on his lawn.
"There was just one problem. Very few people passed by."
Luckily Todd and his friend, Rick, didn't let the slow early
response or their lack of funds stop them. Within a year there were
four hundred libraries, each with a steward (caretaker). And that was
just the beginning. If you want to read a truly wonderful story about
ordinary people doing amazing things Little Libraries, Big Heroes is
your go to book.
But it isn't just a read and set aside book. Just think what a
wonderful project building and maintaining a Little Free Library would
be for your family or organization. They can be made of whatever
materials you have to work with. All you need is a charter sign and
number (go to littlefreelibraries.org) and a steward to keep the
library in good shape and stocked with fresh choices.
Actually these days books are not the only thing that can be
shared at a drop off location. Food is something a lot of families
have a hard time getting enough of. How about clothes and shoes
(especially children's) and gently used toys and games?
On a purrrsonal note, so far I haven't run out of books to read.
Fogler Library will mail books to students who request them. Orono
Public is about to start curbside pick up which would involve ordering
by Internet and picking up outside. And if I run out of tangible
books I can always check out the cloud. So I'll be able to keep
providing content for this blog. (Jules)
I think it will rain outside (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all who share needed resources.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment