Friday, June 5, 2020

The Good Son

The Good Son

Juvenile/YA/adult
Pierre-Jacques Ober's The Good Son is a book that should be
required reading for all the people in government who declare wars and
all in industry who profit from them. It might help bridge the huge
gap, actually abyss, between those who decide on military actions and
those who carry them out.
The book begins with a woman and girl walking through a sea of
crosses and the words "About one hundred years ago the whole world
went to war. The war was supposed to last months; it lasted years."
Pierre, the central character, signed up for the fight "like
everyone else." He was spurred by patriotic posters. There was great
national fervor to stop the Germans and their atrocities. He also
thought that by enlisting he would make his mother proud. Although he
won his first battle, he found it awful.
"About one hundred years ago the whole world went to war. They
called it the Great War, but it was fought by little soldiers."
The narrative is set within the context of Pierre's awaiting his
fate. He went home for two days. In his final letter to his mother
he wrote,
"I left to spend Christmas with you because I wanted to be a good son,
and I returned to the regiment because I wanted to be a good soldier.
I thought I was doing the right thing. Now it feels like the world
has gone mad."
Despite returning he was sentenced to death. The war had not
ended at Christmas as promised. Commanders were worried that soldiers
would start deserting. They decided to use Pierre as an example.
At the end of the book there is a last return to the litany.
"About one hundred years ago the whole world went to war.
It was supposed to last months.
It was supposed to be over by Christmas.
It was fought by little soldiers like Pierre.
It would be won by little soldiers like Pierre.
But not by Christmas. And not by Pierre."
The last picture shows a woman mourning at a grave.
The illustrations were done in a very unusual way. Scenes were
all set up with miniatures and then photographed. You will be amazed
by the details of the settings and the silent eloquence of the
figurines.
The book reminds me of Wilfred Brimley's Dulce et Decorum est, a
poem which was written in WWI by a man who was in the trenches. In
very graphic descriptions it shows why it is not sweet and fitting to
die for one's country.
On a purrrsonal note, I am quite worried today. President Trump is en
route to do a public appearance in Guilford. Of course there will be
protestors and probably armed to the teeth counter protestors.
Guilford is a small town with seriously limited infrastructure in
terms of either violent clashes or a spike in COVID-19 cases. My
thoughts and prayers are with the Guilford citizens whose safety will
be compromised. There will also be demonstrations in Bangor and
Portland. I will not be attending the Bangor one. The walk is too
long and not pedestrian friendly. I do get frustrated. I am very
much angered by police killing Black people. But the protests are
never in walking distance. And I don't have money to donate. I
realized yesterday that what I can do is knit scarves and give them to
people who donate money to organizations like Black Lives Matter. I
have bins of yarn in my shed. That way I can do what I can to help.
Even little things matter in these days. (Jules)
My hooman still won't let me help. What's up with that? (Tobago)
A great big shout out (along with thoughts and prayers) goes out to
the soon under siege residents of Guilford.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment