Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Donald J. Trump

Donald J. Trump

Adult nonfiction
"Trump won the presidency not despite, but because of his
penchant for making inflamatory and divisive statements. When
confronted with a fact-check, Trump would stand his ground often by
attributing the information in question to an undisclosed 'good
source.' Although not all his statements were factually true, the
manner in which he defended his words and said what other politicians
would not say earned him the trust of voters."
If you've read this blog for any lenght of time you're probably
wondering why I read a whole book on the 45th president. It wasn't
for fun. It was because I believe that what we don't know can hurt us
big time. Also, to have any chance of replacing Trump in November we
have to understand what motivated his voters.
You need a reputable source. The New York Times is known for
its journalistic due dilligence. Donald J. Trump, quoted above, is
one of the volumes in their new biography series. It's a collection
of pieces by a diversity of writers.
The first piece, written in 1976, gives a picture of a younger
Trump as heir apparent to his father's lucrative real estate empire.
After a few more readings on his prepolitician years (including a look
at the Trump University scandal), there is comprehensive coverage of
his campaign and the first years of his presidency. Some of the
articles include:
*Donald Trump's Message Resonates With White Supremacists;
*Across the World, Shock and Uncertainty at Trump's Victory;
*Trump is Criticized for Not Calling Out White Supremacists;
and *Trump Sexual Misconduct repeated by Several Women.
If you want to understand how a reality show star became head of
one of the world's most powerful nations, especially if you don't want
to experience four more years, you'll find Donald J. Trump to be a
must read.
On a purrrsonal note, one of the problems I'm having with this
pandemic is going from very active to very not active. A couple of
times I've tried daily walks. They've gone the way of most
resolutions for lack of either intrinsic or extrinsic motivation.
This week I'm trying with the realization that I need a bribe. You
know how some stores offer punch cards that let you earn a free coffee
by buying a bunch of coffees? Well I have a cute frog hole puncher.
I'm using scrap paper for cards. Every time I've made ten punches
I'll let my next walk be to Tradewinds to buy a soda or ice cream.
Let's see how that works.
I'm really looking forward to Saturday when I'll see all my children.
(Jules)
I gets enough exercise tearing around the place. I has a fine feline
figure (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our family.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment