Thursday, October 3, 2019

Soaring Earth

Soaring Earth
YA nonfiction
"In dreams I reject reality
and return to the blue-green-blue
isle of ocean-surrounded childhood,
a sliver of memory treasured."
Recall how in 2015 we looked at Margarita Engle's memoir in
verse, Enchanted Air? I was elated to discover a brand new companion,
Soaring Earth, that specifically focuses on Engle's teen/young adult
years.
When we meet Engle, she desperately yearns to return to the
enchanted Cuba where she spent childhood summers. Only it was illegal
for her to go there due to politics. High school and college will
present additional challenges.
In fact, the challenges of attending a large state university
during a time of war, drugs, and campus conflict proves to be too
much. No longer a student, she doesn't go home, not sure how she can
explain her situation to her parents. Jobs are hard to come by.
Housemates and guests are sometimes problematic. Witnessing a murder
shreds her sense of security. After hitchhiking across the country
she's robbed in Harlem. A lot in her life seems futile.
"Will I ever manage
to return
to college?

Once an opportunity
has been abandoned
can lost hope ever
be rediscovered?"
You'll have to read the book to find out.
On a personal note, you recall how I was anxious that I wouldn't have
enough iron to donate blood? Well I had excellent numbers (probably
thanks to our Wells chefs who do beef right) and donated easily. Then
I volunteered six hours at the canteen, tending to other donors. Easy
Peasy and fun. Luckily Anna didn't schedule me to work that night so
I could rest up.
Anna has given me free time to go to my family early Halloween party
where I'll see all my kids Saturday (I AM SO EXCITED!!!) and to
participate in the Drag Pageant next Wednesday. We have October Break
the 12th to the 15th. I have SO MUCH TO DO before break I don't see
how I'll get it all done. I'll have to channel the Little Engine That
Could.
At the beginning of the year I decided I'd do 100 volunteer hours in
2019. When I learned in May that Joey had cancer I dropped that goal
and forgave myself because making the best of his time left for him
was much more important. I have no idea how it happened but as of
yesterday I'm up to 100 1/2 hours with almost 3 weeks to go. I'd
rather have Joey.
Great big shout outs go out to Anna, my fellow blood donors, my
amazing children, and the best little cat in the world.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment