Sunday, October 6, 2019

#Me Too

#Me Too

Adult nonfiction
"IT STARTED WITH A TWEET: If you've been sexually harassed or
assaulted write 'Me too' as a reply to this tweet. But the ground
work for #Me Too was laid more than twenty years earlier, and the
conditions for the outpouring of support have existed for
generations. #Me Too has grown into a worldwide catalyst for changes
in the ways people think about, respond to, and deal with sexual
misconduct."
The first time I experienced sexual harassment I was a
freshperson in high school. A male swimming teacher touched me in
places where he really shouldn't have. He told me that was "our
little secret." My gut feeling was that maybe he shouldn't be a
teacher. What he did was wrong. It made me feel in danger in a place
where I deserved to feel safe. And maybe I wasn't the only one he
touched. So I talked to the principal who was shocked...
...at my behavior. I was evil. I could ruin a good man's
reputation with my lies. If I didn't stop there would be serious
repurcussions. Against me. Even then I knew a good man wouldn't
touch a girl under her bathing suit. His demand for secrecy implied
that he knew what he did was wrong. This made me feel helpless and
very angry.
What a difference half a century makes! I was elated when the
#Me Too movement took off like wildfire. People were talking about
what was formerly unmentionable. Predators would not be getting a
free pass.
#Me Too: Women Speak Out Against Sexual Assault is a volume in
the New York Times In The Headlines series. It's a collection of
pieces by a wide range of writers. The first describes the Harvey
Weinstein revelations. Following ones cover the movement that burst
into life following an invitation to other women to share their
experiences and the spread of the ensuing conversation into
legislature and academia and around the world. At the end there are
speculations about what lies ahead. Some of the pieces I found most
interesting concerned:
*the widely differing reactions in countries with a wide range of
cultures;
*the distinction between individual males behaving badly and "the ways
the world is structurally engineered against women" and how the
latter, while causing exponentially more harm, is far harder than the
former to remedy;
and *the complexities surrounding the victimization of black and
working class women.
I would highly recommend this very timely book to women,
nonbinary folks, and allies. It would probably be a very discussion
worthy text for women's and gender studies classes.
On a purrrsonal note, this has been a very intense weekend. Mostly,
of course, I studied. Sunday I spent 3 hours in a study group getting
ready for the legendary theories final. The rest of it was solo,
missing my cat.
My mother-in-law is in the hospital for a collapsed lung and a blood
clot. Of course we're all hoping and praying for Arlene to get well
and home.
The happy news is that Amber and Brian had their traditional family
and friends Halloween party. I wore my unicorn costume. We had pizza
and cupcakes. Their place was decorated just purrrfectly.
[BTW if you're in need for ideas for Halloween costumes and decor you
might want to check out her blog
http://amberscraftaweek.blogspot.com
She is really into the season.]
Katie brought me the most amazing birthday present: a real oil
painting made from my favorite photograph of Joey. He's standing on a
pumpkin near some flowers. Such a precious memory. I will give that
precious painting a place of honor in my studio.
We have Coming Out Week this week at UMaine. Tomorrow I'll wear my
unicorn costume for the flag raising. Wednesday I'll be a contestant
in the drag pageant.
Great big shout outs go out to my study group, the nurses taking care
of Arlene, my family, and the best little cat in the world who could
light and warm up the house even in the depths of winter.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment