Sunday, October 13, 2019

Halloween Crafts

Halloween Crafts

Juvenile/family nonfiction
Do you remember how, when you were a child, it took forever for
Halloween to arrive? Today's kids don't have any more patience than
we did back in the day. The right crafts will help pass the time,
create special memories, and help create a spooktacular ambiance when
the big day arrives.
Fay Robinson's Halloween Crafts serves up a bunch of creepy
crafts that are purrrfect even for kids and families on shoestring
budgets:
*an old black sock is the base for a bat puppet;
*pipe cleaners, glue, and google eyes combine to form hairy tarantulas;
*a disembodied hand takes shape from a disposable glove,
and those are just a few of the seasonal crafts.
I recommend this fine book for families and youth group leaders.
On a purrrsonal note, here's a craft my kids taught me years ago that
can come in handy for parties or other gatherings. Cover tootsie pops
with kleenexes, using rubber bands to secure them. Draw little ghost
faces. Cute, fast, and cheap.
One regret I have is never getting around to producing a
Halloween story on tape with special effects with my kids. Every time
I tried something came up. Then they went and grew up. I haven't
given up on the project. I may just have to do it off season with
some of my techie undergrad friends. Now that's another family
project you might want to try.
Don't forget that for more sophisticated projects my daughter's blog
is the place to go.
http://amberscraftaweek.blogspot.com
This Halloween will be a sad one for me. For years Adam, Joey cat,
and I gave out candy to trick or treaters. We'd watch X Files
episodes for ambience. Then it was Joey and me. I'd read books with
him in my lap. I incorporated Joey into my costumes. Like if I was a
witch he'd be my familiar. I can't bear the thought of handing out
candy without the best little cat in the world this year. I think
I'll stay on campus for whatever student activities comes up with.
Great big shout outs go out to my crafty daughter Amber and the best
little cat in the world.
jules hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment