Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Take Shelter

Take Shelter

Juvenile nonfiction
What images pops into your mind when someone says shelter? A
house? A McMansion? An apartment in a duplex or skyscraper? Maybe a
mobile home? If you're anything like me you'll only conjure up a
fragment of the possibilities.
Lucky for us there's Nikki Tate and Dani Tate-Stratton's Take
Shelter: At Home Around The World. In words and colorful photographs
it gives the reader a real magic carpet ride. You get to see:
*the dwelling places of troglodytes whose homes are constructed in
caves;
*converted school buses;
*residences crafted of native materials including snow;
*colorful Romany caravans;
And so many other fascinating abodes.
The quickly growing world population makes it really hard for
many people to have any kind of shelter. This problem and possible
solutions are discussed.
This would be a wonderful book for future engineers, policy
makers, public servants, and visionaries.
On a personal note, I had a wonderful Mothers Day. Eugene and I drove
out to Belfast. The fog was so thick everything looked like it was
packed in cotton. At Renys Gene got seeds for himself and a pack of
mechanical pencils based on the movie Frozen (which I'd seen with the
commuter lounge crowd awhile back on a movie and pizza for me. I got a
free scented candle just for being a mom. At Goodwill I got a lovely
50s style dress, a diary, and a carousel horse music box for only $7!
Eugene treated me to Mickey D's for lunch.
I got to talk to all my three children and play with Joey cat. What
more could a mom ask for?
A great big shout goes out to the three wonderful children I am so
proud to be the mother of.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment