Thursday, May 26, 2016

Reproductive Rights

Reproductive Rights

YA nonfiction
I think you will agree with me on this, no matter what side of
the issue you come down on. A lot of contrversy swirls around
reproductive rights. Vicki Oransky Wittenstein's Reproductive Rights
Who Decides gives us a lucid and multi-faceted history of this topic.
Beginning with ancient times where women used birth
preventitives such as crocodile dung (you can tell that wasn't in
Maine) and fermented dough and going right up through today's world in
which technologies seem to outstrip our ability to envision ethical
aspects, the book provides us with information on topics such as:
*bans on contraception;
*the pill and its legacy;
*Roe V. Wade and attempts to overturn it;
*and the "brave new world" we inhabit.
The writing is comprehensive and concise. Illustrations are
well chosen. What I like best about Reproductive Rights, however, is
its cultural inclusiveness. A number of issues are brought up that,
while relevant, can be easy to overlook. (Involuntary) sterilization
laws in place right up til the 1970s, under which society made people
considered genetically undesirable unable to reproduce, are discussed
under the chapter on Margaret Sanger. In the last chapter we are
reminded of the serious dangers of too early pregnancy for child brides.
I believe Reproductive Rights is a must own for public and
school libraries and a wise acquisition for families of teens and
preteens. It can add accurate information to a debate all too often
dominated by emotion.
On a personal note, at the lavendar graduation I almost fell out of my
chair. Meredith got her masters in higher education: student
development. THEY HAVE A PROGRAM FOR THAT? I love working with
students to help them achieve their goals and potentials. Imagine if
I could make that a vocation and be forever safe from the perils of
retail Hell!
A great big shout out goes out to my friends who I now know are in
that program.
jules hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment