Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Virtually You

Virtually You

Awhile back when the RSU was facing money paucity and its
devastating divisiveness, I made a discovery that shook me to my very
core. I would see emails so vicious they made me sick at my stomach.
Yet the people capable of spewing such venom would be anything but in
stores and on the street. I would wonder how it was possible for two
such polar opposite personalities to coexist in one body with
seemingly no discomfort. Needless to say, when I read about Elias
Aboujaoude, MD's Virtually You: The Dangerous Powers Of The E-
Personality I requested it via inter library loan.
Aboujaoude believes that in ways that have not been fully
explored most people are subtly changed psychologically and maybe even
neurologically by the process of going online frequently. Often these
changes can bleed into off line reality.
*Anonymity and invisibility can cause one to act with less inhibition
or responsibility. This can lead to posting virulent things one would
never say in person or on the phone or spending too much on line
shopping or gambling.
*Spending a lot of time playing games or posting updates can detract
from time needed for other activities including offline relationships.
*Being able to tailor one's online presentation and interact with
other enhanced entities may make offline relationships seem boring or
too much work. One's dazzling online personality and looks may cause
deep satisfaction with one's offline self.
*Attention span and ability to read and think in depth may be
collateral damage.
*In the psycho clutter of too much we may become less able to discern
the important from the trivial in information or relationships.
Aboujaoude discusses these and other dangers lucidly and in depth.
This book is well worth reading for anyone who entertains concerns
about the brave new virtual world nearly all of us occupy to some
extent.
On a personal note, I asked people I can trust for the truth to tell
me if I'm meaner or more impulsive online than off. It's a good
reality check these days. They said no. I think if anything, knowing
that what gets put out online lives forever and can reach quite
unexpected destinations, I'm more circumspect online than offline. I
put a 24 hour delay, for example, between writing and posting this
review.
A great big shout out goes out to all the wonderful people I have
friended or who have friended me in the offline world. So dear and
precious!
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment