Friday, August 16, 2013

Best School Year Ever

Best School Year Ever

You probably remember Barbara Robinson's classic The Best
Christmas Pageant Ever. I know it's one of my all time juvenile
literature favorites. No matter how many times I hear or read it I
get choked at the end when the family of worst kids in town turns a
very interesting Christmas pageant into a true faith experience.
What I did not know until I discovered it shelf reading that
Robinson had written a sequel: The Best School Year Ever. The six
Herdmans are back, one to a class (narrator Beth's dad thinks that
must be in the teacher contracts along with sick leave). Beth worries
about she won't succeed at her yearlong class project. Each student
has to write a compliment about each of his or classmates including
(shudder) Imogene Herdman.
Whether displaying a kidnapped baby with fake tatoos to get
money, terrorizing kindergarten kids with a dead snake, or absconding
with the PTA talent show refreshments, the Herdmans are at their
sneaky, sinister best. (I will have to say, though, I prefer then to
goodie two shoes Alice Wendleken and her helicopter mom.) Stuff
happens. It is duly recorded in the local newspaper. For the very
surprising ending...
...you gotta read the book.
On a personal note, cleaning is coming along.
A great big shout out goes out to my domestic goddess friend, Rose.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment