Monday, August 19, 2013

The Caged Graves

The Caged Graves

YA novel
My library boss and fellow actress, Louise, told me she had just
finished a book I had to read. Her eyes were shining as she told me
how I would love it. Of course with a recommendation like that I
checked it out. I devoured it it one day...it was that good: the
literary equivalent of chocolate truffles. Now I'm passing the
reccomendation on to you, my readers.
Diane Salerni's The Caged Graves starts with a mysterious
preamble, a scene of murder and betrayal in the Revolutionary war.
Then the action shifts to 1867. Verity Boone, 17, is returning to the
town in which she was born. She had been sent away to be raised by
relatives at the unexpected death of her mother. Now she is betrothed
to a man who she only knows through letters.
Things don't start off well with Nate. In person he's nowhere
near as polished as his letters. There are suspicions that he isn't
marrying her for love alone, that his mother engineered the match so
he could gain her father's very productive farm land through semi holy
matrimony. The girls who had hoped to catch Nate's eye (not to
mention their angry mothers!) are not exactly welcoming. There is a
dashing young doctor's apprentice who is flouting convention, openly
flirting with her even though she is taken, eager to give Nate a
healthy dose of competition.
Also Verity is in for a horrifying discovery. Near the church
she finds two cage like structures surrounding two graves dug outside
of the holy cemetary grounds: the graves of her mother and aunt who
died on the same day. Of course she wants to find out why they were
buried on unhallowed ground. Some say to protect them from grave
robbers. Some say to keep them below ground where they belong. There
are rumors of witchcraft...and worse.
But there's more. Writers don't start with preambles just for
the heck of it. The murder and betrayal involve a goodly amount of
gold...gold people are seeking and ready to do whatever it takes to
get their hands on it.
Our Verity is in confusion and danger. She may find her answers
in her dead mother's diaries...if she can figure out their message in
time.
The Caged Graves is a real spell binder. Hold off on reading it
until you have the time because if you are anything like me you are
not going to want to put it down. Salerni wrote the book after
finding two caged graves in real life. When she couldn't discover the
explanation she created one. I just hope as I pen this review she has
found another mystery to engage her curiosity. She has considerable
talent I don't want her to be wasting!
On a personal note, I am so excited for tomorrow! There is going to
be a work party sprucing up the grounds of the Orono schools
culminating in lunch and swimming. Then, of course, I have community
garden. Who could ask for more in a day. At the same time I'm
worried. I have been exhausted for days with even simple things
taking an inordinate amount of effort. My friend Pam says it's a
virus. I just hope it doesn't render me useless when I need to be at
my very best.
A great big shout out goes out to all who will join me in making the
school grounds look awesome and Joanne Harriman who puts the super in
superintendent.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment