Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Beef With Meat

My Beef With Meat

Yesterday I was relaxing in the library with a good book before
community garden. Louise handed me a volume that she had checked out
for me. It had arrived by inter library loan. What could be more
perfect for a vegetarian to review than Rip Esselstyn's My Beef With
Beef: The Healthiest Argument for Eating a Plant-Strong Diet?
The first part of the book is built around thirty-six reasons
why veganism is optimal for health. A lot of arguments made by the
meat and dairy are essential crowd bite the dust. Did you know that:
*Plants pack more than enough protein, even for athletes.
*Plants have plenty enough iron (which I, as a regular blood donor,
can attest to).
*Non animal products can keep bones strong. Paridoxically the dairy
products touted to do this actually leach calcium because of fat
content.
*A plant-based diet is easy to prepare, economical, and palate pleasing.
*Plant production is a lot better for our planet than meat consumption.
*Veggies and fruits are much better for you than vitamin supplements.
There are some many more points cogently developed. Number 22 in
particular will make the male readers stand up and notice. Oops. Bad
pun. Taken as a whole they give a great deal of food for thought.
But the piece de resistance is the second part of the book: the
recipes. The color illustrations in the center look as tasty as any
on a restaurant's menu. The 140 recipes include:
*cranberry-polenta French toast
*spicy Southern grits
*spicy Italian eat balls
*no-moo-here mashed potatoes (love the name)
*pizzas and flatbreads
*the mad Greek gyro
*beer battered onion rings
*Adonis cake
*bittersweet chocolate truffles
and so many more!!!
I know I'm going to be trying quite a few and I'd suggest you give
this fine book a try...unless you're not really interested in more
energy and better health.
On a personal note, I thought I was doing OK by being a vegetarian.
Wrong. I am now questioning the presence of animal by products in my
diet. I am going to seriously work on losing the milk mustache in
favor of goodies like lentils, spinach, and my favorite black beans.
A great big shout out goes out to my chum Louise with whom I've passed
many great hours both in the library children's wing and on the
stage. You go, Girl!
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment