Wednesday, July 24, 2013

you against me

you against me

YA novel
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Some of the truly
best fiction today is classified YA. Jenny Dunham's you against me
is a prime example. This unlikely love story is one of the most
beautifully written, evocative, thought provoking novels it has been
my privilege to read. Ever.
Why is it an unlikely love story? Let's look at the protagonists.
Mikey's sister, Karyn, has been a shadow of herself since she
claimed to have been raped. She won't even go to school or leave the
apartment or talk to friends. Under the pressure their mother's
alcoholism is really kicking in, leaving her unable to handle the
responsibilities of parenthood. Baby sister, Megan, is being badly
neglected. The threat of authorities stepping in is ever present.
Mikey is tormented by the pain his loved ones are experiencing.
On the surface Ellie would seem to have things so much better.
Her family is lots more financially secure than Mikey's. But
appearances can be deceiving. Her brother, Tom, is charged with
rape. His legal defense has become the entire focus of her family.
She's all alone to deal with her pain: afraid to go back to school,
terrified of dealing with her classmates. She has no real friends.
Having recently moved, she and her folks have not developed social
support. Then there's the fact that she was home when the alleged rape
took place and she hasn't been entirely truthful in her statements to
the police.
As I'm sure you have guessed Karen and Tom are the principals in
the rape story and Mikey and Ellie the most unlikely pair. Does their
romance crash and burn or survive against all odds...
...read the book and see. You'll be glad you did. I see it as
at least as relevant to parents, particularly parents of young adults,
as to its target demographics. Trust me on this.
As for me, I plan to track down Downham's debut novel and fill
you in on that in the near future. Promise.
On a personal note, ladies and gents, are you ready for this? I just
did a little counting and realized we've passed the 200th review. All
I can say is it's been a privilege and a pleasure. I have been told
that my readership is growing. If you like this blog could you please
tell your friends about it? Take my word for it--I have plenty of
good books to opine about.
A great big shout out goes out to Erin Rhoda, Bangor Daily News
editorial page editor. With her many insightful pieces on all aspects
of rape, she's getting people to think and feel about a topic most
would rather sweep under the rug. Way to light a candle against the
darkness, Erin! Keep on keeping on!
Julia Emily Hathaway




Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment