Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wheels of Change

Wheels of Change

Juvenile non fiction
"Bicycling by young women has helped to swell the ranks of
reckless girls who finally drift into the standing army of outcast
women of the United States. The bicycle is the devil's advance agent
morally and physically in thousands of instances."
[Charlotte Smith]
"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done
more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. I stand and
rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel."
[Susan B. Anthony]
These two quotes from Sue Macy's Wheels of Change: How Women
Rode the Bicycle to Freedom (With a Few Flat Tires Along the Way)
attest to the controversial nature of women taking up a newly popular
mode of transportation in the late 19th century. Critics felt this
trend would damage women's moral and physical health and devotion to
religion. They were scandalized by the indecent garments that were
invented to facilitate women's bike riding--particularly bloomers.
Fortunately, they could not hold out against such a popular movement.
Wheels of Change documents in a very comprehensive and fun read
how taking up bicycle riding widened women's horizens in ways that
went beyond enhanced mobility. This lavishly illustrated volume
contains both enlightenment and good humor. I doubt anyone would not
laugh at the Omaha Bee's "Don'ts for Women Wheelers." If you enjoy
well written glimpses into the past as I do, you will find this book
simply irrisistable.
On a personal note, I am decidedly ambivolent about my bicycle. The
kids suggest I use it to travel between Veazie and Orono. I find it
easier to walk, particularly since it is a rare trip when I get very
far without being offered a ride by a friend. My bike would have me
stuck pedaling all the way both ways, not the safest thing in summer
and early fall since I'm susceptible to heat sickness. Someday if I
can get a motor on it I'll have it made in the shade. :)
A great big shout out goes out to the folks who are transforming the
lives of women and girls in third world countries by providing them
with bicycles which help them to travel more safely, work more
efficiently, and stay in school.
Julia Emily Hathaway



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment