Monday, July 22, 2013

Rapture Practice

Rapture Practice

I see these families sometimes when I stop in at Bangor Public
Library. You can recognize them right off by the way they dress.
Mostly it's mom and the girls sporting outfits that would have been
puritanical even in the 1950s. It's the demeanor of the kids and the
reaction of the parents if they get even a smidge out of line. It's
how mom (and sometimes dad) must approve every bit of reading or
viewing matter and often do all the choosing. It's also the fact that
they're at the library in the middle of the week. In an attempt to
keep the kids from going to Hades by way of the public school system
they're going the home school route.
I see people around me shake their heads and make comments about
nut cases. It's not that simple. It can, I'm sure, be a very
comforting way of life to be in a community of those who share deeply
felt beliefs and a way of being. At times in my earlier years, like
when my parents were going through a drawn out and bitter divorce, I
experienced Amish envy. It was a heart breaking moment when I
realized that had I been brought up that way I would have been shunned
for my inquiring mind and big mouth.
The children are clean, healthy, happy, obviously well loved.
The parents are doing the same thing as the rest of us: protecting
their kids. When mine were little and someone tried to smoke around
them it made me some ugly. I mean if you believe nothing short of
eternal damnation for those dearest to you is the result of letting
down ones guard... But still I wonder about the youngsters. They
grow up and into the secular world sooner or later. What if they
discover the forbidden fruit to be not so bad, maybe downright
tempting. That's gotta make for some heavy internal and external
conflict.
This lengthier than usual preamble was to try to convey how
delighted I was to discover Aaron Hartzler's Rapture Practice: My One-
Way Ticket To Salvation. It's the poignant and eloquent true story of
his childhood and teen years. He was one of those youngsters to call
into question his parents world view when he experienced some of the
activities they consider abominations.
Aaron's father teaches at a Bible college. His mother runs a
Good News Club for neighborhood children. They teach their children
that the Rapture, the Second Coming, is right around the corner. "I
mean literally, like glance out the car window and, 'Oh, hey, there's
Jesus in the sky.' There will be a trumpet blast, an archangel will
shout, and Jesus Christ will appear in the clouds. We believe that
people all over the world who have been born again by accepting Jesus
as their personal savior from sin will float up into the air to meet
him."
Although the family's salvation is assured by their belief, they
must live in such a way that is different from the secular world. The
hope is that non believers will be attracted to these differences and
possible convert as a result. As many as possible must won over while
there is still time.
After awhile Aaron starts having trouble following all the
rules. He has trouble with the idea that a merciful God will
predestine some people to eternal damnation. He yearns to become an
actor in a context other than saving souls. The rock music and movies
he's been forbidden resonate with him when he checks them out. He
carefully hides from his family the activities and people they would
not approve of. Increasingly he feels despair in feeling that the
person he really is would not be accepted by the people he loves the
most.
This is a truly powerful, poignant, thought provoking coming of
age novel. I highly recommend it for young adults and adult adults
alike.
On a personal note, I was very fortunate. Although I was brought up
in the church with a director of religious education mother and church
organist father I was encouraged to think for myself in matters of
faith.
A great big shout out goes out to parents doing their best by their
beloved children.
Julia Emily Hathawayo



Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment