Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What's In Your Soda?

What's In Your Soda?

Finally, it has arrived. Jaclyn Sullivan's What's In Your
Soda?, part of an expose series on fast foods, shows and tells our
youngest readers exactly why drinking too much of these ubiquitous
beverages is not really a good idea. Text covers the history of
carbonated beverages, the ingredients that go into their cans and
bottles, and health dangers of overconsumption. Pictures are colorful
and eye catching. The cover practically jumps out at you.
This is a must buy for school and public libraries in my mind.
Now I've got to get my hands on the rest of the series. :)
Inquiring minds want to know. I hope.
On a personal note, I gotta confess that even though I know how bad it
is for me there are humid, muggy days when I don't succeed in refusing
a cold soda. I am getting better about substituting seltzer water
with a splash of fruit juice. Still I like the sometimes foods
approach the book advocates. (You know what they say about forbidden
fruits.) Come to think of it, that's what sodas were when I was
growing up: for special times like parties and movies and, in the
case of ginger ale, to settle queasy tummies. Unlimited soda and ice
cream were the parental selling point for tonsilectomies.
A great big shout out goes out to all those who fight valiently for
our right to know what's in our food and to not buy genetically
modified stuff.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment