Monday, July 1, 2013

THE EVERYTHING KIDS COOKBOOK

THE EVERYTHING KIDS COOKBOOK

Very few experiences define quality time quite like cooking with
kids. OK, it can get a bit messy. But you're teaching valuable life
skills and building treasured memories. I get teary eyed thinking on
baking and decorating Christmas cookies with Mom and Harriet and
cooking with my kids when they were younger. Kids are so proud when
they produce food for family and friends to eat.
Sandra K. Nissenberg's THE EVERYTHING KIDS COOKBOOK is a great
place to start. Its subtitle says it all: From mac 'n cheese to
double chocolate chip cookies--all you need to have some finger
lickin' fun. There's a wide range of foods rated for difficulty of
preparation. There's a good balance of familiar (grilled cheese
sandwich) and novel (fruity rice--which is yummy BTW) foods. I have
never seen kitchen safety addressed in such a novel way--as an
alphabet sequence scattered throughout the book. Nutrition trivia,
pencil and paper games--there's something for everyone!
Not to mention the price is quite reasonable. In my mind this
is a great family investment.
On a personal note, I've been getting some super darling dresses from
Orono Thrift Shop. I wore one that looked like it was right out of
the fifties: white eyelet, tiny waist and flared skirt, several
inches of net slip sticking out hem...just the cat's pajamas. I wore
it to church with a short sleeve sweater and shimmery tights. A lady
told me she had a dress just like it when she was in her 20's. She
was born in 1930.
A great big shout out goes out to the volunteers who run Orono Thrift
Shop and keep it such an inviting place to bargain hunt.
Julia Emily Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment