Wednesday, August 9, 2023

The Greatest Thing

YA graphic novel
"I didn't know who I was...
...where I was going.
I didn't know much of anything back then really.
I just knew...
...that this year I was all alone."
     In high school some kids are surrounded by friends and acquaintances.  Others are happier with a small number of close friends.  When they lose those friends...
     ...Starting her sophomore year, Winifred, protagonist of Sarah Winifred Searles' The Greatest Thing, is in that plight.  Her two best (and only) friends have transferred to a private school.  The picture of her entering her school into a sea of socializing peers is worth at least a thousand words.
     Winifred has an independent study with her photography teacher.  In addition to doing a mentored independent study project she assists with a class.  In that role she gets to know April and Oscar, two nonconformist peers who quickly become her friends.  She begins to hang out with them.  They even begin to create zines.
     They have something in common.  One sleepover during a game of truth or dare each reveals their deepest, darkest secret.  They're all the same:  I hate myself.  Oscar struggles with classes, sure that he's stupid compared to his peers.  April has to cope with the expectations of parents who are simultaneously micromanaging and negligent (especially when drunk).  Winifred is extremely weight conscious, convinced that she doesn't deserve to enjoy food or have good friends.
     In her author's note Searle tells readers that Winifred is her younger self.  The story, although fictional, is based on some of her own remembered experiences.  She ends the note with a message to readers:
     "This book is my gift to the young me, to Win, and to anyone like her.  I hope that if you feel alone, this story can be there for you but also that you find glimmers of hope in your own life.  You deserve happiness.  It just might take some time and effort to get there sometimes.  And you're never as alone as you think you are."
On a purrrsonal note, I have this rainy 🌧 day to work at home.  Then I have two days with important dates.  Tomorrow I have to try to manage my urologist appointment without a panic attack.  I have about 95% odds that she'll say that my ultrasound showed that I'm totally recovered from my kidney stone.  But anxiety is not rational.  Thursday I have to volunteer 🙋‍♀️ in community garden; bus back home to change, check for ticks, and shower; and go to Wilson Center to run my program and enjoy an awesome meal in most congenial company.  Oh, yeah, I just passed my 2500 books 📚 reviewed mark.  (Jules)
This book 📖 has pictures of a gorgeous and smart cat.  So it's a must read.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our readers who hopefully are continuing to enjoy this blog.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 
     



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment