Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Icebreaker

YA romance 
     "'I worked for this, too,' I snap.
     He laughs, but it's this bitter, angry sound.  I've never dropped the gloves for a fight before, but man, I am so beyond tempted right now.
     'Yeah', he snaps back.  'You had to work hard with a name like that.'"
     Mickey has tough skates ⛸️ to fill.  He comes from a legendary ice 🏒 family.  His grandfather and father are basically worshipped.  As the son following the birth of five 🏒 oriented sisters, he's been groomed for greatness from a toddler hood wobbling on the ice.  Now he is only attending college because he's too young for the NHL draft.  After his first year he'll be wherever the team that chooses him is located.  He's considered one of the two top draft picks.
     He's on the same college team as the other draft pick.  The sports media focuses of his rivalry with Jaysen, keeping it front and center in a lot of people's minds.  Even as they must work to help their team win each has to not let the other not look too good.  So there's no way their rivalry could turn into romance, especially in a homophobic environment...
     ...or is there?
"So, being both depressed and anxious at the same time is absolutely wild.
     I have zero desire or motivation to play hockey or do anything other than acquaint myself with my new mattress, but I also have this all-consuming need to be on the ice.  To prove myself worthy of my own name."
     Mickey is aware that he's different, that he never feels happy in an environment where everyone else seems to.  This effects everything: his school work, his relationships with fellow team members, his poor choices in regard to 🍸.  He doesn't know what (if anything) he can do to find the happiness that seems to constantly elude him.
     This highly nuanced and complex coming of age narrative,  written by an ice 🏒 affecianado, will be a great read for players and fans of the sport...
     ...as well as people like me who are immune to its appeal.
On a purrrsonal note, yesterday the community garden really came alive.  The children who had grown a pizza garden had their 🍕 party to which all gardeners were invited.  They had a professional chef with a wood 🔥 pizza oven who used very local veggies and flowers for toppings.  So many different kinds to try!  Now I really want to make pizzas so I can put eggplant on mine.  The garden crowd was in a very festive mood.  There were a bunch of Muslims ☪️ including a beautiful Muslim baby.  One of the women is attending UMaine and having trouble with English.  I offered to help.  I really hope she takes me up on that.  After the party we were weeding to cover crop some beds for the winter.  Zoey was saying she's made a lot of jam.  I said that means she has to bring us shortbread 🍪 s next Tuesday and luckily she agreed.  I brought home cauliflower, green beans, cucumbers, and 🍆 s for pizza.  (Jules)
People eat some funny looking things.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to all participants.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 

     



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment