Monday, August 7, 2023

Both Can Be True

Juvenile fiction
     We live in a society of either ors, binaries, and mutually exclusive categories.  You're either, for example, male or female.  It makes life easier, more predictable,and less messy.  But it also robs life of much beauty and complexity.  Luckily we don't have to restrict our perceptions to either or when both and is a much better option.  That's the powerful message (that far too many adults haven't yet received) that Jules Machias serves up for juvenile readers in Both Can Be True.
     "I made two resolutions when I started at this school two weeks ago:  I'd avoid the whole conundrum of feeling weird about bathrooms 🚻 by never peeing at school, and I'd always let people assume I'm an Ashley.  People think it's cute for a girl to be a tomboy.  But an Asher in a dress is a freak.  So it's safer to let people guess Ash is short for Ashley."
     Ash swings back and forth between girl mode and boy mode.  They hate the in between spaces when neither gender seems to fit.  Their father says that enby and gender fluid aren't real.  It's time for Ash to decide which gender they're most comfortable and perform it consistently so other people won't be confused.  He's afraid that there will be another incident like the one that necessitated changing schools.
     "But I can't imagine what Mom or Mitchell would say if I tried to rescue a dog like Tina's doing.  They already think I'm the world's biggest softie, and they constantly tell me in big and small ways to stop being too sensitive."
     Daniel has lost a lot lately.  His father moved out.  His former best friend won't have anything to do with him.  When his beloved dog 🐕 ❤️ Frankie died his mother declared their home a dog free zone.
     Daniel has ended up with a serious moral quandary.  A vet tech has rescued a dog with medical issues from being euthanized.  But when she has to leave to handle a family emergency he's left holding the dog.  At first he houses Chewbarka in a tent, knowing it can't be a long term solution.  The weather is about to turn cold.  He's falling apart from lack of sleep.  And if the wrong people learn his secret a sweet little dog he's come to love ❤️ will be euthanized.
     When Ash learns about his predicament she pitches in to help.  But finding a safe home 🏡 for Chewbarka without the vetinarian finding out is not their only challenge.  They start to have very strong but confusing feelings for each other, feelings complicated by neither exactly fitting in the binary.
    Both Can Be True is an insightful and engaging read for kids trying to figure out their identities.  Also for dog lovers.  Even though I'm totally a cat person there were a few chapters I was scared for Chewbarka's fate.
     The book reminds me of a poem I wrote last fall semester.

Gender Fluidity 

Some mornings
When I wake up
I feel my sheness.
Some mornings
When I wake up
I feel my heness...

...Sometimes both;
Sometimes neither
Which is perfectly 🥰 okay...

...Because every morning
When I wake up 
I feel my meness...

...It isn't something 
That can be captured
In a name or pronoun,
A box on a form...

...It's the fire and passion 
In my heart ❤️ 💙 💜 💖 💗 
The vision in my mind,
The music 🎶 that sets
My body to dancing 💃 
The stories and poems
Only I can write,
And the freedom and joy,
The song of my soul.

Jules Hathaway 




     



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment