Thursday, August 17, 2023

Catch Us When We Fall

Adult fiction 
     "Ben MacGreavy had been a smart man.  Cass cradled a secret pride for the way he always seemed to have the answer to every question.  That whip-smart intellect once landed him a spot on Jeopardy!, and his winnings had gotten as high as $22,400 after the first round."
     Unfortunately Ben's book smarts weren't matched by street smarts.  Too many rounds of scotch had caused him to blow the final question and walk off with the third place consolation prize.  Sort of like his relationship with long term girlfriend Cass.  Short term jobs alternated with longer term stretches of drunkenness and risk taking.
     Now the party is over.  Ben has died of alcohol 🍸 poisoning.  Cass is left with no money, no home, and no family or friends to turn to for support.  She's also pregnant with Ben's child, a baby she very much wants to give birth to and raise, a baby she has to be sober for.
    In desperation she turns to Ben's ball player brother, Scott.  After paying for her stint in rehab he allows her to move into his home until she comes up with a more long-term solution.  Only his rules for staying are strict and include total abstinence.  Despite Cass's good intentions for the child growing inside her she is mightily tempted to give in to the urge for just one more drink.
     In Catch Us When We Fall Juliette Fay has created complex and relatable characters caught up in and making the best of a situation neither of them would have chosen but that might somehow, against all odds, might be the best thing that could happen for both of them, not to mention the yet to be born catalyst.
On a purrrsonal note, a week and a half until school starts.  Leah just mailed out the book 📖 list for Leadership and Change in Higher Education.  Whoa!  5 required books!  Since I'll be paying tuition for my field experience, will have 2 classes spring semester, and won't be able to work this year financially this last year will be a wing and a prayer.  My friend Diane is going to help me drop off the thrift shop stuff and drive me to campus where I'll meet with my career counselor, Kate, and check the textbook prices.  Tonight is Wilson Center.  At least I won't have to worry about getting home after my night class.  Since it's Thursday I can go to Wilson Center after and get a ride home from there.  (Jules)
Why is she worrying?  My minion Erin just cashed 💸 in my stash of bottles and cans giving me $200 more for my savings account.  If she needs money 💰 help to achieve her very worthy goal of earning her degree I can help.  My people and I are a team.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Diane, Kate, and Erin.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 




Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment