Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Ivies

YA chiller 
     If you, like me, are a fan of the subgenre I call pricey private schools can have skeletons in their closets, you're in for a real treat: Alexa Donne's The Ivies.
     The title of the book is not alluding to America's most prestigious higher education consortium.  It's a small group of girls at a pricey prep school, Claflin Academy.  They've divvied up the more famous Ivies between them like an early admissions academia pie.  Clique founder, Avery, is seemingly a Harvard shoe in as a triple legacy.  Sierra plans on honing her cutting edge technology skills at Yale while Emma and Margot are respectively gunning for Brown and Princeton.  
     Narrator Olivia is the one of these things does not belong in the group.  Unlike her peers, she isn't filthy rich.  In fact she's the scholarship student daughter of a first generation single mother of modest means.  Is she ever aware of that difference! She resents being assigned UPenn.  Harvard has been her dream since childhood.  But she doesn't dare rock the boat...
     ...at least not in public.
     When early admissions decisions start coming in, shockingly, Avery is rejected, not just deferred, by Harvard.  She assigns her crew to find out who took her spot by getting accepted.  Emma is up front about her acceptance.  She and Avery get into a very public fight.
     The next morning Emma is found dead.
     Although the Ivies traditionally limit their membership to five, their activities involve virtually all their classmates.  They make themselves the best by taking the rest down by methods that are morally reprehensible, some of which would not pass the test of legality.
     "We disrupt class ranks, club leaderships, summer internships, academic competitions, and musical auditions.  We improve our own odds by slightly decreasing the fortunes of others.
     Because hyperelite competitive college admissions is some serious fucking shit."
     Avery isn't the only one who could stand to profit from Emma's death.  Although they can't prove anything, the Ivies' classmates are aware and resentful of their dirty tricks.  At least one adult has motive and opportunity.  Claflin itself will do whatever it takes to keep its reputation pristine and keep people from learning that there's a whole lot of rot under their ivy.
     Olivia has a special reason to be scared.  She also got into Harvard early decision.  At Claflin secrets don't stay secret for long.  If Emma was killed for her academic good fortune...
     I found the perfect ambiance for enjoying The Ivies.  I binge read read it in my studio in pajamas, fortifying myself with a pint of caramel core ice cream straight out of the container, only sharing with my faithful feline friend, Tobago.
     Mmm, mmm, good!
On a purrrsonal note, I had a wonderful weekend.  Eugene took me to Denny's for breakfast Saturday.  Sunday he bought me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers.  My writing muse was sitting on my shoulder.  More and more frequently I get into a state of flow, of effortlessly tapping into my best writing talent.  It feels amazing.  (Jules).
I am exercising supreme willpower by not eating the salad bar...I mean flowers.  (Tobago).
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 
     
   
     



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment