Sunday, February 26, 2023

Daddy's Girl

Adult mystery 
     "'Tell my wife,' he whispered.  Blood hiccupped from his mouth, a sight so grisly Nat almost cried out.  He said, 'Please.  Tell her.'
     'I will.  I'll tell her you love her.' Nat said, finishing his sentence, her words rushing out in a choked sob.
     'No, no,' the C.O. moaned, shaking his head.  'No.  It's...under the floor.'"
     Nat, protagonist of Lisa Scottoline's Daddy's Girl, is nearing a pivotal point in her career.  She's a law school professor quickly approaching her tenure review.  If she's granted tenure she's golden, her academia future secure.  It not, oh well.  Basically it will be her sink or swim moment.
     Angus is a colleague with a strong commitment to justice which is often divorced from law.  He supervises hands on student experience.  One day a student who is slated to teach a class at a local prison is sick.  Angus asks Nat to take his place.
     The lesson is interrupted by a loud siren.  The prison is in lockdown.  All Hell breaks loose.  Lost, Nat stumbles into a room where a correctional is dying.  He entrusts her with very cryptic last words.  
     Nat's quest to find the wife and convey the message leads to very unexpected consequences.  She finds herself accused of the brutal murder of a police officer...
     ...which is totally not what a tenure seeking law school professor needs.  Will Nat make tenure?  Will she live to find out?
     There's a good way to discover the answer to these questions.
On a purrrsonal note, anticipating continued bitter cold, I'd decided to spend the weekend safely inside.  No going out until Monday.  Little did I know that Eugene would propose a road trip or that I'd say yes.  I'm really glad that I did.  We went to the really cool antiques and other stuff emporium out on Route 1.  I wicked lucked out!  I found two gorgeous long sleeved cat shirts (which I'm wicked looking forward to wearing to school) and a package of cool mechanical pencils.  He also got Subway subs for lunch.  Today I decided to do a little baking.  I tried a lemon cookies from scratch recipe.  OK, but nothing I'll try again.  It's something to share with my friends.  Right now I have chocolate brownies that Eugene will devour in the oven.  I'm far enough caught up on everything else to spend the rest of the day working on my own writing.  (Jules)
The cold sneaks through the windows.  Sure glad I'm not an outdoor cat.  ( Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to Eugene.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment