Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Rise To The Sun

YA fiction 
     "Imani Garrett and her odds.  Imani and her data.  Sometimes her brain works too hard for her to see what I see--that there's no way you can math your way into finding love.  Like every great love song has ever taught me it takes trial and error."
     In Olivia's case that's a lot of errors.  Her latest break up has been the most stupendous.  She's supposed to testify at a judicial hearing that could potentially ruin her ex.  He's a sports star.  So she'll start her senior year of high school persona non grata.  She's headed to the weekend long Farmland Music And Arts Festival with skeptical best friend, Imani, to try to get her life under control.
     "My summer is ending up the way every summer of my life that I can remember has ended--setting up camp in the relentless sun of Farmland's seven-hundred-acre land next to a person that gets it, gets me.  It's perfect.  It's familiar.  Until the person across from me speaks up, and I remember with startling clarity that nothing is the same as it has been in summers prior."
     In summers prior Toni has attended Farmland with her roadie father.  Only, with him killed in a robbery, she's there with her platonic best friend, Peter.  Her dad was about pursuing passion, away more than present during her growing up years.  She's about to reluctantly start college.  Her pragmatic lawyer mom is expecting her to follow in her much more conventional lawyer footsteps.  Actually Toni doesn't know what she wants out of life.  She hopes that she'll find some clues at Farmland.
     You'd think in a huge music festival two people as Olivia and Toni wouldn't meet.  But through unexpected circumstances they have to work together to pull off a crucial goal.  Can they actually do that?
     Drop in on Leah Johnson's Farmland and find out.
On a purrrsonal note, here in Penobscot County Maine we've swapped out precipitation for extreme cold.  Friday through Saturday it's supposed to get to 60 below zero factoring in windchill.  That's frostbite sets in in minutes weather.  And drinking adult beverages, which many undergrads do, lessens cold perception.  I've been putting up posters I made about the cold and talking to all the students I encounter to do my part.  Others are sending out email warnings.  Luckily my supervisor believes that the health of his staff matters.  So Friday instead of risking frostbite bus commuting I'll be home in my fuzzy pajamas with Tobago.  I can make my time up next week.  (Jules)
Oh happy day!  I am so looking forward to Friday! (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to supervisor Ben for making staff health and safety a priority.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 


Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment