Sunday, February 5, 2023

The Grip Of It

Adult chiller
     We think of gaslighting as a human thing--a person or group manipulating situations with the intent of convincing another person or group that they're losing their grip on reality.  But what if a building (or possibly an invisible malignant entity haunting it) is capable of gaslighting its inhabitants?  That's the premise beautifully explored in Jac Jemc's The Grip Of It.
     Julie and James have marital problems.  He starts compulsive gambling.  She is very concerned and disturbed.  They decide that the best solution is moving from the city with all its temptations to a small town.
     Only the house they end up buying is not exactly home sweet home material.  A strange sound, an intonation, is audible from the very beginning.  There's a possible grave in the yard.
     James and Julie start hearing creepy stories about their house's history.  One of them is newspaper verified.
     There are unexpected hidden rooms and passageways.  Mold spreads prolifically.  Eerie paintings appear on walls.  Julie gets large bruises that doctors can't diagnose.  
     The novel is told in alternating stream of consciousness voices.  The reader sees the couple pulling apart as each partner struggles to understand what's going on.
     Where will it all end?
     There's one way to find out.
On a purrrsonal note, I had the most wonderful surprise today!!!  I was doing the dishes.  I heard a car pull up.  It was my one and only son, Adam!!!  I hadn't seen him in months.  We had such a wonderful visit.  I was so glad I'd actually baked because I had banana bread to give him.  I'm really looking forward to spending time with him and Katie after my kidney stone surgery.  (Jules)
I saw my big brother.  He is one of my favorite people.  (Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to our Adam!
Tobago and Jules Hathaway 



Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment