Thursday, August 12, 2021

Watch You Burn

Watch You Burn

YA thriller
"When I come out of the trees and onto the dirt access road, I
pluck another dry leaf from the ground and crumble it. I let the
pieces float around in the wind.
Everything out here is a fire starter."
What's the best thing I can do on a scorching heat wave August
day? How about I fill you on a sizzling YA thriller? If you like
your mysteries spine chilling you'll want to get your hands on Amanda
Searcy's Watch You Burn.
Jenny, Searcy's protagonist, has just been sent to live with her
father in New Mexico. She's far away from her family in Ohio. Her
stepfather especially wants to have her out of the way. Something to
do with an investigation.
Jenny's Dad is converting a falling to pieces shell of a motel,
Los Ranchitos Inn, into luxury accomodations. The office and first
two bedrooms have been restored to new glory. But as for the rest...
"Outside, the place looks like a scene from a dystopian movie.
Slabs of fallen concrete litter the parking lot; the other rooms are
missing ceilings and contain decades of debris, broken bottles, and
the remains of old campsites. The pool was filled in years ago so no
one would break their neck stumbling around in the dark."
Ten years ago seven-year-old Jenny attended her first sleep over
party. It went seriously wrong. She was the only survivor of a house
fire which left her with a scar.
Now fire plays a dual role in Jenny's life. It terrifies and
obsesses her. Sometimes when she's stressed her scar becomes
unberably itchy. The only way to relieve the itch is to start a
fire. Did I mention that an abandoned house in Ohio had mysteriously
gone up in flames right before her journey?
There's a lot to stress Jenny in her new hometown. Dad is
sleeping with his architect. New friendships and loyalties are
complex and constantly shifting. And somebody may know her secrets
and be willing to disclose them.
Meanwhile she's out in the boonies where there are lots of dried
woods acres to set the fires that releave her itch in. Nobody has
died. Yet. But there's a homeless camp on some very flamable acres.
Watch You Burn is a real treat for hard core thriller lovers.
And I mean hard core. If you aren't...
...well don't say I didn't warn you.
On a purrrsonal note, Tuesday Tobago and I celebrated this blog's
tenth birthday. Ghirardelli caramel filled chocolates for me (thanks,
Emily!) and turkey flavored cat treats for baby girl. I volunteered
at community garden where I was able to get summer squash, green
beans, and lettuce. Wednesday I was amazed that I didn't fall apart
from missing Joey cat. I was able to volunteer at the library and
attend the open porch at my church. Today the mail carrier delivered
a package with my name on it. I wasn't expecting anything. It was my
very expensive class textbook. My kids got me the purrrfect birthday
gift and sent it early. That was what I really wanted. (Jules)
It is seriously too hot out. Good thing we haz a cold breeze box.
(Tobago)
A great big shout out goes out to the best grown kids a mom could
have: Amber, Katie, and Adam.
Tobago and Jules Hathaway


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment